What method will come out on top Aquacultured VS Maricultured VS Harvested?

Uncle_Matthew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an interesting discussion for yall

Does anyone know the rough distribution of marketplace on our coral sources?
Are there any know hybrids of Aqua/Mariculture Farms that anyone knows of?

Do you think that will change do to climate change, hobbyist influence, etc.?
Do you think that SPS, LPS, Anemone's, etc. will see specialization and source will change based on type of coral?

What is your preferred source of coral?

Keep it friendly And I'd Love to hear what you guys think!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think aquaculture is the future, especially from a sustainability standpoint. I don't know that we'll ever stop harvesting from the wild, unless they cease to exist. I think it will reach a point though, where certain corals only exist in captivity.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things will continue to change as you follow the money. 3rd world Government Officials are banning marketplace items until the need is so great that they get a major "kickback" on the profits....imo

Follow the bags-of-cash.

They'll re-release Hawaiian Yellows when the price is high enough and Gov Officials get dined-and-pocketlined with bags of cash from Suppliers.

Last edited:

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things will continue to change as you follow the money. 3rd world Government Officials are banning marketplace items until the need is so great that they get a major "kickback" on the profits....imo

Follow the bags-of-cash.

They'll re-release Hawaiian Yellows when the price is high enough and Gov Officials get dined-and-pocketlined with bags of cash from Suppliers.
It literally doesn’t work that way

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

Follow the bags-of-cash.

This is basically what I was going to say. I will add that I think that mariculture would/should be the future if it weren't for the reasons you mentioned. It is highly efficient and equally sustainable. That stated, aquaculture will always have its place (as it should) but I don't know that I ever see it being enough to sustain the entire hobby. I do believe that wild caught will continue to dwindle until it ceases to exist... also probably how it should be, if I'm being honest.

OP
OP
Uncle_Matthew

Uncle_Matthew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is basically what I was going to say. I will add that I think that mariculture would/should be the future if it weren't for the reasons you mentioned. It is highly efficient and equally sustainable. That stated, aquaculture will always have its place (as it should) but I don't know that I ever see it being enough to sustain the entire hobby. I do believe that wild caught will continue to dwindle until it ceases to exist... also probably how it should be, if I'm being honest.
I agree Maricultre is the most ideal way to grow coral and best for sustainability if climate does not inhibit our ability to do so

OP
OP
Uncle_Matthew

Uncle_Matthew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Follow the bags-of-cash.

Yup because the only thing that the government truly cares about is it's money. humans are inherently greedy unfortunately

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A box of water and some simple filtration is not expensive (its going it slow and learning)... it is only expensive when we try to keep up with the "Jones".

Zoes, shroms and not designer corals... you can have an awesome tank with a 40g breader.. it is an empty canvas, go slow and paint your own picture.

Pretty sure I just went:

1636344018407.png

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion aquaculture is the best. maricultured or wild harvest corals can be a freaking pain to keep alive sometimes and will just start getting RTN out of nowhere. So you may spend good money for a nice colony rather then a frag that ends up being nothing but skeleton 2-3months later.

My preferred source for coral are other successful reefers with large mature colonies they are frigging and little to no pest issues.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the issues of aging in corals, aquaculture and mariculture is probably going to be hit and miss long term until sexual propogation with captive corals is common place.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back