What monitor / display are you using with Reef-Pi?

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built a few raspberry pi projects for monitoring my boat. I am looking to build some form of Reef-Pi.
A couple of questions -
1) I would like to mount a 7-9" display on the tank stand showing the system status - what are you using ? recommend?
2) Anyone using SMS / email notices and alarms from their Reef-Pi?
3) Anyone have a android app to reflect the values from their tank?

Cheers

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I bought a 4 inch touch screen for this purpose. After trying it, I didn’t like it. The display is now in a drawer. There a couple of people with displays permanently attached. Any hdmi monitor will work but touch screen will allow you to not need a mouse or keyboard too.

2) many/ most are using email alerts and alarms. It’s also possible to have a cloud based service that sends alarms. This is in case of pi failure or power outage.

3) reef pi runs on a web page. Any computer or phone can access it while on the same WiFi. I primarily run mine from my phone.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to just use my desktop.

However, I recently started using my wife's old Surface Go tablet & it's been awesome!

It just sits by my tank ready to go. I can pick it up to move to a side/under my tank when I'm messing with stuff so I can see the immediate result. Plus, when my hands are wet, I can just use the stylus.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use VNC to manage and control the pi remotely and like others said, you could use any old tablet connected to your LAN to display the reef-pi UI

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest getting something like a fire hd tablet or anything that can display web pages. The benefit of reef pi is the wireless and web server so anything can be your screen. I use my phone, MacBook and an old Amazon tablet for controlling. Don’t over complicate a good ui

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest getting something like a fire hd tablet or anything that can display web pages. The benefit of reef pi is the wireless and web server so anything can be your screen. I use my phone, MacBook and an old Amazon tablet for controlling. Don’t over complicate a good ui
Though it is possible to use any third party devices it requires significantly more effort than get the information with a glance. I completely agree with an idea of using a screen for basics like display temp ph kh and maybe a button or 2 for the most common tasks like feeding. The point is not to get full functionality but get the ease of simplicity.
Just imagine the difference between unlocking your phone go to the website to look at the temperature and just look at the screen already there and or maybe tap on it to turn on and look at it.
The only alternative functionality is ask Alexa / Siri to tell you the info.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the early planning stages of Reef Pi. If you haven’t seen the there are several threads in the control forum. @Ranjib is one of the folks developing it.

I am planning on getting a 10” Raspberry Pi touch screen off Amazon when I build my system. Will start with a RoboTank by @robsworld78 which only requires the insertion of a RaspberryPi unit into his box.

Hope that helps you out, still trying to grasp the basics of it all.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend using any off the shelf tablet/ipad etc for display and not the official touch screen, due to its limited capabilities, and because reef-pi UI is web browser based.
I use the email (and sms via email ->sms gateway) for alerting.

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend using any off the shelf tablet/ipad etc for display and not the official touch screen, due to its limited capabilities, and because reef-pi UI is web browser based.
I use the email (and sms via email ->sms gateway) for alerting.
Thank you

Back