What monti is this? Species and name.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
zupload.png

I picked this up at my LFS. The guy said it was "like one of those [name] ones", and indicated a hand-sized chunk of monti. I'm not sure if they were exactly the same, as the big one didn't seem to have any green. He called the bigger one by a two-word name that included "madness" or "insanity", though I don't remember exactly what he called it. Anyone want to guess what a reddish, bumpy, encrusting monti called something like "[word] madness" would be?

Is this a monti setosa? A lot of the pictures of those online are all sorts of lumpy and branched, and none of the several bigger pieces had any sort of branches. They were bumpy and sort of ridged, but definitely not branched.

I have another encrusting monti, a Chili Pepper. If I put these two near each other, what are they likely to do at the point where they meet? Would they just do the usual encrusting SPS "try to grow over the other" thing, or would they sting and actually cause each other problems beyond the very edge? I think it would be neat to put the red-on-green coral next to the green-on-red one.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not M Setosa. The 'pits?' are to big and it is generally orange/red, sometimes streaked but pits are the same color.

Maybe?

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright, makes sense. The bigger chunks may have been setosas, as they were all the same color.

What is this, then? Curious what I can expect it to do.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora generally encrust or grow plates or fingers. They are relatively fast growing once they get established and their coloration gets better as they grow.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on species but appears to be a sunset montipora (can’t find the species online unless I’m not looking correctly)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine grows very well. Slowly, but grows well.

Was trying to get a picture of my moyers leopard, but here is mine:
20220404_103350.jpg

It's encrusted over many dead vermetid snails(hence the lumpy appearance.). The middle "lump" is the original frag.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oo, nice. I'll have to give mine something bumpy to grow over as well, get some interesting texture on. Though maybe not quite as spire-filled as vermetids.

Is that rock flower anemone one of those Pacific ones with the nasty sting? It looks a little odd in the tentacle department.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Come to think of it, M. verrucosa does look quite knobbly compared to this. M. undata is definitely closer. And comes in some lovely colors!
Will two different colonies of M. undata outright fight at the edges, if they meet, or will they just try to climb on top of each other?

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks like WWC Cherry Tree. No idea what species but it is different from Sunset, gets an elevated “rim” at the encrusting edge.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back