What most often leads to bad reefing choices?

In your experience, what is causing bad choices at the LFS?

• More often the LFS is just trying to sell or not well informed.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • More often the aquarist is buying impulsively or not well informed.

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • LFS and aquarist share equal responsibility.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Other- please explain.

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are always hearing stuff like “my LFS sold me…” or “your LFS told you wrong.”
I know this is not a black and white issue but I want to hear peoples opinions on your local fish stores and your reefing experience. When people end up with livestock and equipment issues, who do you think has more responsibility?
On one hand, you need to know what you’re getting into and research before agreeing to take care of ANY pets.
On the other hand, fish stores should be helping their clients understand the responsibility of the reef hobby and that taking care of live animals is more than just an out-the-door business.
I’m hoping not to make this into a big blame game but rather a talking point about how reefers and retailers can both benefit and have success.
Discuss!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO - there are good LFS and bad LFS and vice versa - good reefers and bad reefers. IMHO - the key to problems on both sides is 'laziness'.

To answer your question - The person purchasing the tank has the responsibility to do the research, make sure they know what they are getting, etc. The person at the LFS has the responsibility to say 'I don't know'. The problem for both sides - if you ask 1 question to 10 different reefers or LFS, you could very well get 10 different opinions.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Mnfish.

I don’t agree on giving the full blame on the LFS. That’s just victim mentality to avoid taking responsibility.

There are some cases where an LFS would downright lie to make a quick buck, but a person should have some common knowledge from researching before making decisions on purchasing live animals.

You wouldn’t blame the car salesman for selling a car that you didn’t research prior. Once you sign, it’s yours. Nobody can force you to pay for a fish, coral, invert that you can’t care for.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would blame myself some of the time and also some of the LFS Ive dealt with over the years. Ive got a great lfs that I deal with now. Take some time and do your research

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree w/MnFish, as well.

I did a ton of research, like months of watching YouTube and reading articles, window shopping, etc. And when I went to stock my first fish my LFS put the brakes on some of the stuff I’d wanted to walk out with that day. They sent me home w/my tailspot blenny and a few Nassarius snails, which were the only things on my list they’d recommend for me that day, and told me to come back the next week for my clowns. I think if not for the way they steered me I’d have stocked some stuff early on that might not have done well. I have all that stuff and more now and am glad I followed their lead.

Point being, both parties share responsibility, and a good LFS can even help a pretty well-researched newb get off on the right foot.

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for a mix of both.

In my experience one example was I had gotten a fish for my tank, and I ended up getting ich. Not the end of the world (I know now) but back then I didnt know what to do. Google info (did not know of forums or other resources) so went to a "trusted" LFS. I was told add copper and monitor, great right? But I was informed to add it to the main tank (75g display) and would be no issues. I had no coral at the time but this bound to rock and was easier to just restart as a whole to remove copper. I had found stores I trust and others who give advice like above, but its on me too for maybe not researching more and just trusting somebody who said they knew.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has worked at 2 lfs’s I maybe be the minority in saying this but I will always be the reefers fault. 99 percent of the time me and most of the guys I have worked with will try and help inform decisions if there is a newb reefer. But many times they refuse to listen and it is against policies at some places to refuse sales. (Not where I’m at, I can’t even could when I flat out have to tell people I will not catch them a grouper for their 30 or something dumb like that). And in the two cases the LFS employee is unable to offer advice, these being a busy shop so not enough time to deal with individual customers, and then being an uninformed employee. The burden will always be on the hobbiests to ensure that their animal is getting cared for properly. Not the person trying to make a living.
perhaps I am being to harsh but in my eyes unreasearched reefers are what gives this hobby not only a bad reputation, but cause the death of at this point millions of innocent animals that they swore to care for. So even though is will always help someone out, tell them when things may or may not pan out for them and possibly encourage them to buy something. In no circumstances should the blame be shifted to the LFS

reef_daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reacting too quickly. I would see one problem and buy something hoping it would fix it, and sometimes it would create a new problem. Now I take a couple days to think through what I need to do if I need to make adjustments in my tank.

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hold myself as the reefer accountable. Most LFS have some good advice, but most dont know behavior, proper mix etc. Even the experts are often at odds on some species. Taking it slow and not being impulsive when stocking are good best practices for any reefer.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, as someone who works at an LFS, most of the time it's just impatience on the customer's part. "What do you mean I can't add a flame angel to my tank that's only been up a week?"

Just wait. Best advice I give out on the regular. You'll save a lot of money and heartbreak with this approach.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have said it before and will say it again; we are dealing with live animals, you cant possibly put their lives at risk because you trusted someone you don't know in making a decision or made him/her do the research that you were supposed to do on your own. I have seen people putting all sorts of blames on local fish stores and companies for "misleading labels and claims", unfortunately marketing is one aspect we can never get rid of.
In short: a 5 minute research will help you big time.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back