What next, UV Sterilizer, Light, or Protein Skimmer for just 2 Fish??

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cycling my Reefer 170 and getting ready to dump my YWG and Fire-fish into it from QT.

Next big $$$ outlay: UV Sterilizer, Light, or Protein Skimmer.

I'd guess most of you are going to say PS, which I get. And with no coral I don't really need a light, yet, or do I.

But I'm leaning toward the UV Sterilizer, now hear me out. I've put a lot of time an energy into eliminating mystery whatnot from the tank. Went with all super clean dry gravel and dry Reel Reef Rock (which looks amazing btw). Yes I'm a bit OCD but what can I say, I like an ultra-clean tank and I hate surprises.

So I throw in like an Aqua-Ultraviolet 15W and keep my pristine tank as algae, bacteria, germ, dino, whatever free right from the start. After all, there's only two fish, so the bio-load is minimal.

I will yield to those more experienced than me, so what do you guys think? Am I missing something?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get ya, but since you are asking, my money outlay is on either the light or the skimmer. Tank priorities are a factor, but money limits are a reality and I never know when 500 bucks will always be discretionary. Then again I got a middle class income

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already asked this same question (granted in a different way) I will just post that thread, as it has lots of good info in it.

If you really want one, look into pond UV. Cheaper and do the same thing.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already asked this same question (granted in a different way) I will just post that thread, as it has lots of good info in it.

If you really want one, look into pond UV. Cheaper and do the same thing.
gheez; same doggone thread. :rolleyes:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I'm leaning toward the UV Sterilizer, now hear me out. I've put a lot of time an energy into eliminating mystery whatnot from the tank. Went with all super clean dry gravel and dry Reel Reef Rock (which looks amazing btw). Yes I'm a bit OCD but what can I say, I like an ultra-clean tank and I hate surprises.

So I throw in like an Aqua-Ultraviolet 15W and keep my pristine tank as algae, bacteria, germ, dino, whatever free right from the start. After all, there's only two fish, so the bio-load is minimal.

You do realize your setting up a reef tank that is full of surprises, and there is no way in heck your going to keep everything out of the tank. A reef tank is a glass box full of bacteria, algae, and life. Limiting that life is a major no no, and leads to most peoples demise in this hobby. It's thinking like this that gets people into trouble with a reef tank.

It's a reef tank, people really need to understand that in order to have a successful tank, you need all that life, and trying to keep things pristine is when things die and all those unwanteds come in.

With all that said.... I vote protein skimmer. UV isn't needed, and a PS does more in your tank then just remove proteins.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what your goals are for the tank.

It sounds like UV may be good for your goals. If you want one for long term, I would get a good one built for saltwater. I personally would not use a pond sterilizer on a reef tank for anything more than temporary fix. My green killing machine had a rusting impeller rod after 3 months.

Protein skimmer may not be necessary. I had to take mine out because nutrients were too low. Macroalgae and refugium could take place of skimmer.

My choice would be lighting next. But I like corals and macroalgaes. Plus I think my tank looks better with light.

also, @homer1475 has great advice above. You want some algae, other life like to create a diverse biome in the tank. It keeps things stable. When you get algae, get some snails. Kill all algae and diatoms, that’s when the real problem algae comes along. And UV does not always work for it. UV will kill what’s in the water column only.

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gheez; same doggone thread. :rolleyes:
Actually they are similar, but my specific conditions have changed (only two fish in the tank for a pretty long time), hence the new thread. I apologize if I've broken some forum rule, I'm just trying to get my tank going.

I fully understand the need for bio-diversity, in fact I plan to add an IPSF bundle or two in the near future.

The UV issue does seem to be polarizing for some reason. Some people lost their tanks to dinos or had to add a UV to kill them or got so frustrated with algae they quit and swear that they'll never run another tank without a UV from the start (that's kinda where I am). Other folks think they kill off too much and cause problems.

If you polled it I bet it'd be: 50% UV 50% No-UV

And I do appreciate everyone's input, this hobby is confusing.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Light, Skimmer then UV if still needed/wanted. Tank looks so much better with lighting and besides with such light bioload, skimmer may not be necessary esp if u have live rocks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back