OP
OP
Volsman85

Volsman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it could be ich. That fish is a sailfin tang and it gets very large. It is not appropriate for a 36 gallon tank.

You really have two choices. 1. remove all the fish and treat them in a QT tank, then leave your DT fishless for 72 days...or 2. try to manage the infection with good water conditions/feeding.
Thx. But a question. So, it's not a good idea to get a fish you know will outgrow one's tank thinking one can sell it back when it gets to that point? My store seems to think so but I know they sell fish. But their rep is A one. Hell, IDK. Lol

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx. But a question. So, it's not a good idea to get a fish you know will outgrow one's tank thinking one can sell it back when it gets to that point? My store seems to think so but I know they sell fish. But their rep is A one. Hell, IDK. Lol

That's a very good question and there is no definitive answer. My thought process is doing that can cause a lot of stress to the fish and to me it's not ethical. If you buy a fish that may thrive in your tank for a few years before needing a new home I can see the argument. In this case the fish in question will get huge and grows fast. It will "outgrow" a 36 gallon in a few months.....but actually it will not be stress free in a tank that size at any time.

As far as the LFS in question if they recommend that fish in this size tank...they've lost their A rep. :D I don't know one that recommend it in a tank twice that size. LFS in general are a poor source of that kind of information in my experience unfortunately.

Wish you the best of luck and just want you to have the best chance possible of being successful. This can be a hard hobby with so much conflicting information. I can remember the confusion as a new reefer, despite my education in biology/zoology.

OP
OP
Volsman85

Volsman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very good question and there is no definitive answer. My thought process is doing that can cause a lot of stress to the fish and to me it's not ethical. If you buy a fish that may thrive in your tank for a few years before needing a new home I can see the argument. In this case the fish in question will get huge and grows fast. It will "outgrow" a 36 gallon in a few months.....but actually it will not be stress free in a tank that size at any time.

As far as the LFS in question if they recommend that fish in this size tank...they've lost their A rep. :D I don't know one that recommend it in a tank twice that size. LFS in general are a poor source of that kind of information in my experience unfortunately.

Wish you the best of luck and just want you to have the best chance possible of being successful. This can be a hard hobby with so much conflicting information. I can remember the confusion as a new reefer, despite my education in biology/zoology.
Thanks. It's more overwhelming than I ever imagined which be exponential when/if I try coral. The conflicting info is like the COVID. IDK what to believe. I just want honest advice for the minimum that works. I'm not saying skimp or go cheap. Just the min that WORKS. Still looking for the best way to introduce new livestock.

NuclearStriker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are aggressive fish and they're already established in the tank. Good luck adding anything at this point. Ideally the most aggressive fish should be added last.
What is the salinity of the water the fish are coming in? You might be shocking them by just adding to the tank.

OP
OP
Volsman85

Volsman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the salinity of the water the fish are coming in? You might be shocking them by just adding to the tank.
What is the best method to introduce a new fish to my tank? Quarantine is not an option at this point.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,good info post#6 ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back