What now?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been using it since I'm not home everyday to add it and I'm to broke to afford even a jebao doser...
Dang Domination,
You just broke my heart :(

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Donination,

I just was answering a question in full on a cycling thread.
Not sure where @Reef-junky was coming from? :confused:

A lot of reefer's bash others for cycling a tank with damsels and I have no problem with that method. :)

Just sounded like you were offering OP a pair of clown fish. I was just wondering if you were breeding them is all.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sounded like you were offering OP a pair of clown fish. I was just wondering if you were breeding them is all.
I took it the wrong way.
I'm sorry.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link! This is the most thorough explanation of this whole process we have ever seen, and we're finding it super helpful. Cheers!
YW;)

OP
OP
L

Laurie K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those things that have been suggested for adding, are either to add a source of ammonia (either ammonia itself or food products that will break down into ammonia) or sources of bacteria to begin processing the ammonia and nitrite. It's all about having bacteria present to breakdown ammonia into nitrite, and another type of bacteria to breakdown nitrite into nitrate. As the numbers of bacteria grow, the ability of the system to support life grows.

Keep testing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels during this time to know when this cycle is completed. (Ammonia and nitrite levels will rise and later fall to zero before the cycle is complete.) Usually this will take six weeks to two months but can vary. Introducing one of the sources of bacteria in a bottle or not will be one of the time variables.

Hi!

We had 1ppm of ammonia 6 days ago and it started dropping 3 days ago. We just tested and it's now at .25ppm...but the nitrites and nitrates are still reading at 0. Is that normal? We understood that as ammonia goes down, nitrites, then nitrates rise...hmmm

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep testing and be patient. It's happening for you naturally and the bacteria population is growing slowly. If you're not a patient personality you can speed it up with the bacteria in a bottle added to your system. Otherwise you can be patient and it will happen naturally and you can save the money for something else.

The natural way could take as long as two months but can be as short as four weeks. This depends on the initial numbers of bacteria present to impact how fast their population grows.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back