What on earth..

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed for the last few days that my wrasse qt has these white dots all over the silicone seams. They're ONLY on the seams. I figured it was some weird algae but the dots are increasing. These aren't in either of the other quarantine tanks. No symptoms from fish. I am treating with furan-2 (today is day 9) because the flame wrasse's fins got a little rough looking and it looked like either lympho or a bacterial infection was setting in. I figured it was due to constant harassment by the clowns, who have been in their own qt now for a while, and occasional chasing by the rhomboid wrasse. If you look, you'll see a perfect reddish/brownish circle or ring in the center. They almost look like the nerite snail eggs I used to get all over my old DT, but there hasn't been any inverts in any of these tanks...
@Humblefish @Big G @HotRocks @4FordFamily @melypr1985 any ideas?
IMG_3563.JPG
IMG_3565.JPG
IMG_3568.JPG

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually on the rubber on the heaters too. It almost looks like mold?

These tanks have been bleached/air dried a handful of times. Could a mold survive a saltwater environment?

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Last pic looks like the medication(s) you're dosing in the QT are manifesting themselves into concentrated spots? Almost like Coraline does? Low flow low light area? Just a guess though. Sometimes copper or other sulfer bases elements will do this. Ever see a penny with spots or brass after the environment get to it? Same same.
Anyone more advanced have an opinion/answer?

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Last pic looks like the medication(s) you're dosing in the QT are manifesting themselves into concentrated spots? Almost like Coraline does? Low flow low light area? Just a guess though. Sometimes copper or other sulfer bases elements will do this. Ever see a penny with spots or brass after the environment get to it? Same same.
Anyone more advanced have an opinion/answer?

That's a thought. This tank has been through copper, prazipro, kanaplex, metroplex in food, and now furan-2, although there was some bleaching between transfers and treatments. Since the last washing, this qt has gotten one round prazi, metro in food for ~two weeks, and furan-2 for 9 days. This tank is in a dimly lit room but I'd imagine flow wouldn't be an issue... I have two hob filters and a 1k gyre pump in here.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably came in with the water with wrasses. A sponge or a snail, if its not on your fish I wouldn't worry. You guys like the those Ammonia Alerts? They work good? It looks like Seachem?

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably came in with the water with wrasses. A sponge or a snail, if its not on your fish I wouldn't worry. You guys like the those Ammonia Alerts? They work good? It looks like Seachem?

Wrasses went through ttm, copper, prazi, metro laced food, and antibiotics. Tank has never had any inverts, as it's sole purpose in life is for qt and I've only had THIS qt for two months. Tank has been bleached, rinsed, and dried a few times.

The badge is awesome.. Unless you're dosing furan-2 which turns everything a yellowish green lol. Otherwise, it's pretty spot on.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the tank purchased new or how old is it ? Could it be if it’s an old tank that some kind of algae it had is growing back ?
Also how often do you run carbon in there for after meds ? Some of the spots by the badge look like a stain

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new tank. It was scrubbed with and soaked in bleach for 15 minutes, rinsed, then air dried for 4-5 days after copper and kanaplex. All equipment was also given the same cleaning.
Ran carbon after prazi for a couple days before starting furan-2.
Been using furan-2 for 9 days while also feeding metro laced pellets. I've qt'd a dozen or so times at this point and have never seen anything like this in a qt system. There has never been an invert in this tank.

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they hard and white? I have those over all the plastic in my tank. Seem to not like glass. They are harmless. Some form of hard deposit. I have had them for twenty years. They don't spread much once they take hold. Just be careful with your hands as they are sharp. I should put one under a scope. I don't think they are alive. Mine never get bigger than 1/16" ie 1 mm thick/round like mini white chocolate chip.

looked up spirorbid that's what mine are thanks never knew that!

Last edited:
OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very strange indeed... I don’t have an answer here. :(
Since the last cleaning maybe 2-3 weeks? Edit- April 6 is the day I moved them over. So 4/4 or 4/5 I set it up?
Did you get all the bleach out after cleaning it? By rinsing thoroughly??
I thought I did. I usually rinse the heck out of everything and then dry it for a few days in front of a fan. Today was wc day for that tank so I took my finger and kinda rubbed a few of them while syphoning. They mostly rubbed off but left a "footprint" almost like a snail egg?

I will say though, the fact that you don't know what it is going on is actually (oddly) encouraging. I was afraid they were like monster parasite cysts or something lol. There are zero symptoms in any of the 3 qts.. just lymph or a bacterial infection on the flame wrasse, which is why I'd been using furan-2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they hard and white? I have those over all the plastic in my tank. Seem to not like glass. They are harmless. Some form of hard deposit. I have had them for twenty years. They don't spread much once they take hold. Just be careful with your hands as they are sharp. I should put one under a scope. I don't think they are alive. Mine never get bigger than 1/16" ie 1 mm thick/round like mini white chocolate chip.

Is this in a quarantine tank though that's seen copper and been bleached a couple times?

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
main DT they are everywhere spirorbid i just learned

Gotcha. I appreciate the guess..was actually my first guess too, except I've never had an invert in this tank. I also think the copper, bleach, and being dry for days at a time would have knocked them out

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The seachem badges work great for QT tanks. Even read accurately in the presence of copper. Highly recommend! They are cheap too!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back