What on Gods green earth is THIS?????

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was cleaning out my sump today and noticed a few of these little son of guns stuck to the glass near my filters. They came off very easily and I didn't even pay any attention until afterwards when I actually looked at them ;Pompus and saw they were all the same exact size and shape. What in tarnation are these things???! And why only on the glass in the sump and not the DT? They don't move so idk if it's a type of detritus or bacteria but I had about 10 of them just chilling down there and they freaked me out. Please tell me aliens haven't invaded my sump ;Vamp

Screenshot_20210419-173200_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210419-173255_Photos.jpg

george7523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
careful with other types of white spong that attach themselves to rocks. at first i thought they were nice acting as organic filters. but they will take over and cover and kill your zoas.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pineapple sponges are often seen in newer tanks as its thought that they use silicates to grow. Eventually silicates get used up and they start to disappear.

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pineapple sponges are often seen in newer tanks as its thought that they use silicates to grow. Eventually silicates get used up and they start to disappear.
I have never heard of them but I was literally calling them "those weird little pineapple looking things" in my tank before reading this haha. So strange what can grow in your tank! And I had a lot more when I kept cleaning. I'm assuming they don't like the light that's why there down there but as long as they aren't harmful I feel so much better about not getting out every one. Thanks!

Back