What one coral doesn’t thrive in your system?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pretty mixed reef. No crazy stuff, mostly classic corals. They all are growing fast, except one. All of my LPS (acanthestrea, cyphestrea, hammer, torchy frogspawny thing, candy canes, favia, and Duncan, chalice). All of them are growing adding new heads, new tissues spreading.

SPS, same story. Stylo, staghorn, monti undata & digitata, tricolor valida, all killing it. Measurable growth on a daily basis from all of them.

Softies, Zola’s, palys, and mushroom (yes singular, I’m not really a fan) zoas and palys are rapidly adding polyps; so fast I have decided they go in my pico so they don’t take over my mixed reef Nano. But that mushroom just sits no color change, no growth no nothing.

4460915B-0B51-45A1-B41F-8D7E73DEA31B.jpeg

I’m not looking for an answer. I refuse to chase parameters or change my tank to better suit a mushroom when everything is growing and coloring nicely. Just a conversation starter.

what corals does your system struggle with?

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance for me, which is a real kicker because it's one of my favorites. Funny, because I have no issues with the supposedly difficult stuff (Acropora, gorgonians, fungia, ritteri anemones, etc.) as of late. I've had 3, and it always goes the same: it looks amazing for the first couple weeks, then starts to close up, and never really opens again.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance for me, which is a real kicker because it's one of my favorites. Funny, because I have no issues with the supposedly difficult stuff (Acropora, gorgonians, fungia, ritteri anemones, etc.) as of late. I've had 3, and it always goes the same: it looks amazing for the first couple weeks, then starts to close up, and never really opens again.
Oh I wish I could keep gorgonians. Blueberry gorgonian is, in my opinion, one of the planets most beautiful offerings. Just stunning.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I wish I could keep gorgonians. Blueberry gorgonian is, in my opinion, one of the planets most beautiful offerings. Just stunning.
I got a purple gorgonian from Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy last month, beautiful and supposedly photosynthetic (although I don't know how you could tell). There was some slight tissue loss at the beginning in certain spots, but it actually seems to have recovered which is impressive. I treat them like any other SPS, high light and flow. Polyp extension looks neat.

Attachments

• IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 34

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching my chalice frag slowly wither away in my Evo. Everything else, including some lovely gorgonians, cynarine, and a rather large piece of acro, are doing well. And the duncans are exploding, even with a porcelain crab wedged into it. Sigh.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans for me, which is a real kick in the teeth. Acans are the reason I started a tank again some 10 years back.

Every tank I've had, had Acans in them. When I moved to this tank I moved my acan garden(about 50 heads total). Roughly 4 months down the road, every acan started to shrivel up and die.

Even to this day, they are fine for about 3 to 4 months, then just shrivel up and die. Yet any SPS or LPS does perfectly fine. I have since given up on trying to keep them, and will no longer buy them.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got healthy acros, scans, blastos, frogspawn, leather but my chalices just are so unhappy. It’s a small tank with lots of flow and light but I’ve made a few areas lately that seem better for the non-sticks. Just trying a few other locations and hopefully they perk up.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't get my zoas/palys to grow. My hammer corals grow 1-2 hears per month now.
I am trying to keep my reef from being too mixed. I have a birdsnest that has decent growth, and some times it sprouts like a weed.
Torches I am told are slow growers. So I don't expect much from them.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't "brew" it myself either. I have found on here someone that sells an 8 species blend for relatively cheap(cheaper then algae barn or reef nutrition).

Not only will it feed gorgs, but it's one of the healthiest things you can do for your tank(everything feeds on phyto, and it will out compete algae for nutrients).

Just look for a thread by @Eldredge.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't "brew" it myself either. I have found on here someone that sells an 8 species blend for relatively cheap(cheaper then algae barn or reef nutrition).

Not only will it feed gorgs, but it's one of the healthiest things you can do for your tank(everything feeds on phyto, and it will out compete algae for nutrients).

Just look for a thread by @Eldredge.
I really appreciate that, thank you.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
birdsnest :p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back