What other corals play well with Zoas?

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've got my first corals, a set of 8 different zoa frags. They are currently on a rack, and all seem happy (I just watched one of the Pink Constellation polyps grab a brine shrimp as big as it was!).

This is a shot of my tank, showing the rockwork:
tank.jpg

My plan is that the left-hand rock pile (I think of them as 'continents' and need to name them), is going to be my zoa island.

Are there any other attractive corals that will get along with zoas, and could be placed in the same area?

Or should I just stick to zoas/palys?

--Gray

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like anything else, some zoanthids are more resilient than others. I would give everything lots of space and be prepared to intervene and move things if something is getting overtaken.

Leather corals seem to do well, most LPS seem to sting the heck out of anything near them.

Palys can easily get out of hand in my experience. Be careful or they will defeat close zoa colonies.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard of people getting candy canes to live next to zoa. They have a mild sting and a LFS has some with zoa growing on the hard skeleton below the polyps just fine. Mine never hurt anything with their tentacles.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to give most things room bc even if warfare doesn't break out, eventually something is going to grow over something else if they're too close. That said, most corals do fine with zoas.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the corals that I’ve put down there have done fine. These have all physically touched the zoas for at least a month with no issues
-mushrooms (all types, Yuma, bounce, Rhodactis, discosoma, etc)
-scolys
-acan
-hammer
-rock flower nems
-BTA
-palys/more zoas
-GSP
-toadstool
-cabbage leather
-fox coral
-colt coral
-a bunch of different neptheas
-a bunch of sps (red planet, anacropora, red dragon, forest fire digi, Walt Disney, etc)
-alveopora
-goniopora
-sinularia
-chalice
-clam

basically everything :)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Acan lords/micromussa lords are fine, acan echinata will slaughter anything it's put near.

Anything that doesn't sting its neighbors badly won't hurt your zoas. Zoas may grow on some more solid corals eventually.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back