What other invertebrates should I get?

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 40 gallon tall tank that is a little over 2 months now still new but I have tons of copepods, tigger pods etc.. that I go from the 10 lbs of Australian live rock & 30 lbs. of Fiji rock as well as some bottles I bought. Everything is going much better than expected to be honest. However, I noticed a green algae growing on my Fiji Rock and some Cyano Bacteria on the sand and a little on glass where I can't get to with my scraper. I have about 20 snails mix of Turbo, Margarita, Nirate, a couple Nassarius Snails, and 1 sand sifting star who so far is nice and healthy and growing. With all this and parameters in check, I turned down the time my lights on my K7 v3 to about 1.5 hours less, and I have more blue than anything else on. I have a duncan, and zoa coral in the tank that are healthy looking so far.
My question, is .....is there any other type of invertebrate that I can get to help clean up the Cyano from Sand and Glass a little better or more green off the rocks? I'd like to get more but if there is another snail or something that works better that maybe I don't have I'm all for it.
One thing to not is I have 2 Aptasias growing so I'm getting ready to order some Peppermint shrimp, so want to be sure the inverts are good and won't be bothered by the shrimp.

Thanks!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question, is .....is there any other type of invertebrate that I can get to help clean up the Cyano from Sand and Glass a little better or more green off the rocks?
Well, no. Nothing that is decorative is going to take care of your cyano problem; you're going to have to figure out the cause (it's often nutrients bottoming out) before you attempt to treat it with something like chemiclean, as it will just return. Often a cyano problem can be reduced by directing a powerhead into low-flow areas and vacuuming out and removing the growths when visible during the daytime.

Peppermint shrimp may help you with your aiptasia. Before you order them, I would superglue them (gel, please!) in place on your aquascape instead.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, no. Nothing that is decorative is going to take care of your cyano problem; you're going to have to figure out the cause (it's often nutrients bottoming out) before you attempt to treat it with something like chemiclean, as it will just return. Often a cyano problem can be reduced by directing a powerhead into low-flow areas and vacuuming out and removing the growths when visible during the daytime.

Peppermint shrimp may help you with your aiptasia. Before you order them, I would superglue them (gel, please!) in place on your aquascape instead.
So first what parameters should I check that affect cyano more or less? The params I have check, PH, Salinity, Calcium, Magnesium, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia.
As for Gel Superglue, I don't need to take the rock out? It will be a little tough because my tank is tall lol. Thanks!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates and phosphates. There was a point, not so long ago, when reefers strove to achieve a sterling 0.0 reading for both parameters; they then noticed that their coral was failing. Oops! Multiple people keep beautiful tanks with nitrate over 200; I wouldn't do that, though. NO3 below 20 and discernible PO4 is probably better for your tank.

Overfeeding and high nitrates can also exacerbate the problem, too, though. Cyano is really like having your tank wave its hands and say "hey, there's something going on here that you should check out!".

Back