What other Zoas should I add to my Zoa garden?

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5E7B20F9-4367-4BF8-9ECC-ABAE90479985.jpeg
Just got a night pic of my Zoa garden and it came out really good and accurate looking.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not going to like my answer.

How old is your tank?

I'd "master" the ones you already have by getting the lighting, flow and water parameters set before loading up on your dream zoa garden

IMO big mistake loading up on a particular coral until you've proven to yourself lighting, flow and water quality supports that coral... unless you wanna blow a bunch of money into the trashcan.

I agree. I thought I was ready to stock a garden almost all at once. I'm actually struggling with zoas although having great success with LPS and mushrooms. Still trying to figure out where they are happiest. To answer your question: I think "fire and ice" would be a good addition to the colors you have.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acid reflux and rainbow incinerators are my vote for not too expensive pieces
Yeah I’m the same way with costs. My LFS has a $45/frag section and a $100+/frag section. I’ll never buy anything in that expensive section because there’s so many different morphs and options you can choose from that are in the cheaper section. I know you said you don’t pay attention to names but I just wanted to see if you knew the name of one of them
Which one is this one?
FF4D2A3F-4DB1-4B86-920A-DD2D2412291F.jpeg
Pink zipper or pink something. This sucks every store around me has at least a $25 and $35 frag tanks. NYRA has half a frag tank (i mean 80+ frags) all just zoas for $15 (i think 4 frags for $50) , i need to take a pic of this because the variety is crazy

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I thought I was ready to stock a garden almost all at once. I'm actually struggling with zoas although having great success with LPS and mushrooms. Still trying to figure out where they are happiest. To answer your question: I think "fire and ice" would be a good addition to the colors you have.
I like those fire and ice. Have two colors that I need.
acid reflux and rainbow incinerators are my vote for not too expensive pieces

Pink zipper or pink something. This sucks every store around me has at least a $25 and $35 frag tanks. NYRA has half a frag tank (i mean 80+ frags) all just zoas for $15 (i think 4 frags for $50) , i need to take a pic of this because the variety is crazy
The LFS around my area are few now. There are only 2 that are good in a 50 mile radius. Two happen to be in a 15-30 min drive from house. A lot of shops closed too. Gonna start buying some frags online too because I find the Zoa section at my LFS kinda expensive especially for some ugly frags.

Mikec805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Rastas! I'm a few months in to restarting my 40breeder after a 4yr hiatus, and decided on a zoa/lps tank. Definitely need to find some Rastas. I've got some Blondies, Darth Maul's, Scrambled Eggs, and a Koala Eye that just sprouted two new polyps! Had to edit the hell out of these pics to get the colors out.
Screenshot_20210615-214115~2.png
IMG_20210529_222414_549.jpg
IMG_20210529_222414_566.jpg
Screenshot_20210615-221403~2.png

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
As was pointed out earlier you’re def going to want to give your aquarium a chance to mature and for your nitrates and phosphates to stabilize. Zoas (as most coral) are going to do better with slightly readable levels of both. Zoas are also more heterotrophic than say sps so they’ll benefit from feedings with reefroids (or a similar product) until your micro fauna is fully established. Just bear in mind with those products that less is more.

As for recommendations goblins on fire, blue eyed blondes, and any of the chaos (space, utters, utter peace) are all pretty durable and inexpensive. As for the $100 rack all I can say is ‘give it time.’ Many zoas are far and away more forgiving than just about anything other than GSP. Eventually you’ll find something that catches your eye and you’ll roll the dice. Just be sure to do your research first, some are only valuable because they’re new to the hobby. Few are truly worth a c-note.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As was pointed out earlier you’re def going to want to give your aquarium a chance to mature and for your nitrates and phosphates to stabilize. Zoas (as most coral) are going to do better with slightly readable levels of both. Zoas are also more heterotrophic than say sps so they’ll benefit from feedings with reefroids (or a similar product) until your micro fauna is fully established. Just bear in mind with those products that less is more.

As for recommendations goblins on fire, blue eyed blondes, and any of the chaos (space, utters, utter peace) are all pretty durable and inexpensive. As for the $100 rack all I can say is ‘give it time.’ Many zoas are far and away more forgiving than just about anything other than GSP. Eventually you’ll find something that catches your eye and you’ll roll the dice. Just be sure to do your research first, some are only valuable because they’re new to the hobby. Few are truly worth a c-note.
Wrote down goblins on fire. Thanks for the suggestions.
Looking good. Gove some scrambled eggs a go. Darth mauls, pink mowhawks, blue ice and sponge bobs. Ohh and definitely some Rastas.

This is my rock
20210620_113003.jpg
planning to get some rastas and thanks for the suggestions.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based only on what I have, for pink I like Pink Diamonds and Rainbow infusions. My Cherry Corals Pink Diamonds have the exact same pink center and powder looking texture as in the top photo (not my picture). However, unlike this photo the skirt is a nice gold. I like that under white lights they retain a similar pink color.

1624336188888.png

My rainbow infusions have a very similar pink center color under blue lights.

1624335741029.png

For blue, AOI's are very nice, but small. I bought mine from someone on eBay for much less than internet stores like WWC. But some people have had bad experiences with a few eBay vendors. My blue Lagoon's are a good dark blue as are my Daisy Cutters/Stargazers.

1624336869570.png

Daisy Cutters/Stargazers also have a noticeable yellow/gold dot. Most don't have big skirts like these.

1624337091242.jpeg

For yellow, scrambled eggs are a true, bright yellow under blue lights. Some "yellow" zoas are more of a greenish yellow.

Mine look just like these:

1624337596490.png

For reds, it's tough. I have been trying to find something that is a true red with little luck. Kedds red's are red, but mine are small. Most "red" zoas are very dark or orange-red.
For example Bloodsuckers are orange-red and Chrysanthemums are burgundy.

Kedds Reds. Not this bright in my tank.

1624338127567.jpeg

Green - sorry can't help there.

Also, look at this thread:

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to beat a dead horse but IMO rastas are a must for any tank. I also agree with fire and ice being a good choice. I also have some electric red people eaters that I really like the contrast of the red with the green mouth.

Also, I probably wouldn't add anymore frags to that rock. Once they start to grow they can quickly fill in the rock. This rock of mine only had a few polyps of each on it about six months ago.

IMG_20210618_204043_89.jpg

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based only on what I have, for pink I like Pink Diamonds and Rainbow infusions. My Cherry Corals Pink Diamonds have the exact same pink center and powder looking texture as in the top photo (not my picture). However, unlike this photo the skirt is a nice gold. I like that under white lights they retain a similar pink color.

1624336188888.png

My rainbow infusions have a very similar pink center color under blue lights.

1624335741029.png

For blue, AOI's are very nice, but small. I bought mine from someone on eBay for much less than internet stores like WWC. But some people have had bad experiences with a few eBay vendors. My blue Lagoon's are a good dark blue as are my Daisy Cutters/Stargazers.

1624336869570.png

Daisy Cutters/Stargazers also have a noticeable yellow/gold dot. Most don't have big skirts like these.

1624337091242.jpeg

For yellow, scrambled eggs are a true, bright yellow under blue lights. Some "yellow" zoas are more of a greenish yellow.

Mine look just like these:

1624337596490.png

For reds, it's tough. I have been trying to find something that is a true red with little luck. Kedds red's are red, but mine are small. Most "red" zoas are very dark or orange-red.
For example Bloodsuckers are orange-red and Chrysanthemums are burgundy.

Kedds Reds. Not this bright in my tank.

1624338127567.jpeg

Green - sorry can't help there.

Also, look at this thread:

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Blue Eyed Blonde B*^€¥es, Gorrila Nipples
Been considering both of those but I think they may be too similar to my Gatorade’s. They were very close seconds though

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Been considering both of those but I think they may be too similar to my Gatorade’s. They were very close seconds though
I had tried to put in some photos that show what the colors actually look like in a tank. So many photos make them look like they have super intense colors when they actually don't in your tank.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had tried to put in some photos that show what they actually look like in a tank. So many photos make them look like they have super intense colors when they actually don't in your tank.
Facts. It’s an issue nowadays. In the future, I could see some people suing about not getting what they paid for and I think it’s an issue waiting to happen.

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Facts. It’s an issue nowadays. In the future, I could see some people suing about not getting what they paid for and I think it’s an issue waiting to happen.
Great example: I bought these from a well known online vendor and even asked what colors they would look in a home tank. They told me the colors were about the same but maybe not as bright. I ordered a couple and they are dark brown with a pea green ring even under bright blues.

1624367769013.png

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
death/proto palys
edit: this is at the bottom of my 150 tall(30" deep) with lights ramping down.
check Cherry Corals sight for what they look like with brighter lighting.
and their pics of these are accurate.
IMG_3932.jpg

Last edited:

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for greens I forgot that I had (I wasn't at home) Hawaiian Ding Dangs, the ones I have are a very nice aqua color even under whites and Goblin's Fire, which are bright green and orange, even under whites. For me these are a must have zoa. I strongly recommend them.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back