What percent of whites vs blues for macro algae?

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am seeing mixed responses on this, do I need to change my lighting setup for macro algae? Should I include more white light then 'standard' no more then 10%? If so, how much white vs blue should I include?

I have a noopsyche k7 mini on a pico tank. I got a bunch (really way too much) Gracilaria today from a local hobbyist. The macro is really nice and healthy and I'd like to keep it that way, but I also will have coral in this tank, so, ideally I want both the coral and the macro to look good and do well, what's the best way to go about that?

Thank you folks for any advice.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11k is usually the ideal spectrum to most macro algaes.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I tell if I have 11k spectrum? Sorry, I have percentages in the app for the light, not sure how to get to where I want to be.
Im not familiar with your light although it goes around same percentage of blue and white.

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am seeing mixed responses on this, do I need to change my lighting setup for macro algae? Should I include more white light then 'standard' no more then 10%? If so, how much white vs blue should I include?

I have a noopsyche k7 mini on a pico tank. I got a bunch (really way too much) Gracilaria today from a local hobbyist. The macro is really nice and healthy and I'd like to keep it that way, but I also will have coral in this tank, so, ideally I want both the coral and the macro to look good and do well, what's the best way to go about that?

Thank you folks for any advice.
Found this website, not totally 100% sure on accuracy but thought this was some good info too!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230329_164316_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230329_164316_Chrome.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this website, not totally 100% sure on accuracy but thought this was some good info too!

Thank you! I hadn't heard that the brighter the light the less red it will be. I should be able to use that to tune the light/location for the algae.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back