Poll: What Percentage of Water Do You Change During WC?

What Percentage of Water Do You Change During a WC?

• 1-2%

Votes: 18 2.0%
  • 3-5%

Votes: 36 3.9%
  • 6-10%

Votes: 234 25.6%
  • 11-15%

Votes: 221 24.2%
  • 16-20%

Votes: 219 24.0%
  • 21-25%

Votes: 96 10.5%
  • 26% or more

Votes: 45 4.9%
  • I Don't Do Water Changes

Votes: 45 4.9%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday’s poll topic was water change frequency, found here. The majority of people responding indicated they do weekly water changes, followed closely by every other week/twice per month.

Let’s follow up with how much water you actually change, if you do in fact do water changes. Several people commented in the frequency thread but I thought it would be nice to see it in a poll. So let us know by responding to the poll above.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My. System volume is about 380 gallons and I try to do monthly changes that are the full volume of my 55 gallon bypass tank. Usually this is due to that being an observation qt tank that I just drain after I transfer the fish. When it's qt I bypass the tank with a valve and that way the qt is system water. Then I drain it and refill with new saltwater (after sterilization if necessary) and switch the valve so it is back on the system. So I guess my system varies between 380 and 325 gallons....

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually try to do weekly or at most 10 day water changes on my IM Nano 20, I tend to change 5 gallons at a time since a 5 gallon bucket is easy to measure out in terms of how much salt I need. I feel like the larger regular water changes are more cost effective and simpler to do that trying to keep up with dosing schedules and stuff such as carbon media.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change out ~33%, 100+total gallons, every other week and sometimes more for my almost 300 gallon system with 180g display.

aquaterra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100gal total water volume
10 gal/ week (kinda?)

0.5l out every even hour at XX:15
0.5l in every even hour at XX:30

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday’s poll topic was water change frequency, found here. The majority of people responding indicated they do weekly water changes, followed closely by every other week/twice per month.

Let’s follow up with how much water you actually change, if you do in fact do water changes. Several people commented in the frequency thread but I thought it would be nice to see it in a poll. So let us know by responding to the poll above.
To further the discussion, I think there are downsides to changing out too much water. You lose the beneficial bacteria, also if you're not careful, can alter water parameters drastically within seconds. (Salinity, pH, temp, etc). I change a 5 gallon bucket, because it is very easy, two scoops of Aquaforest, suck out 5 gallons with my shop vac into a bucket, pour in new water. Done..

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To further the discussion, I think there are downsides to changing out too much water...

I don't disagree. In the beginning, I was religiously changing about 20-25% every week. Once things really started to take off and grow, I quickly discovered I was changing too much and the water was too clean. I could never get N or P's to test anything but zero's. Now I do 20-25% about every 5-6 months, just so I feel good about doing something...lol.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 46 gallons. I try to do a 10% water change once a month. I would like to get a better schedule of once a week or even every 2 weeks (asking for an RODI unit for Christmas) but for now I am only able to do it when I can get my parents to take me to my LFS and I haven’t gone in quite a few weeks as of now

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To further the discussion, I think there are downsides to changing out too much water. You lose the beneficial bacteria, also if you're not careful, can alter water parameters drastically within seconds. (Salinity, pH, temp, etc). I change a 5 gallon bucket, because it is very easy, two scoops of Aquaforest, suck out 5 gallons with my shop vac into a bucket, pour in new water. Done..

Hi - interesting. What would you consider to be 'too much water' - ie, what percent weekly is good to change? If your water is matched for salinity.pH and Temp and presumably the salt used for replacement (barring errors in measurement) should be within a safe range what would change drastically? Lastly - given the ability of bacteria to rapidly increase if the correct chemicals are present for food - which beneficial bacteria are you talking about. (Lets say you do a 20% water change - you still have 80% of any bacteria present in the water)? I have seen this claim many times - that there is bacteria in the water (of course there is - tank water is not sterile) - but I am not aware of any data that it is not rapidly replaced with a water change, etc - or that fluctuating levels are harmful. Have always thought/heard/read that the vast majority of bacteria present in a reef tank is on the 'stuff'. Thanks for answering:)

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - interesting. What would you consider to be 'too much water' - ie, what percent weekly is good to change? If your water is matched for salinity.pH and Temp and presumably the salt used for replacement (barring errors in measurement) should be within a safe range what would change drastically? Lastly - given the ability of bacteria to rapidly increase if the correct chemicals are present for food - which beneficial bacteria are you talking about. (Lets say you do a 20% water change - you still have 80% of any bacteria present in the water)? I have seen this claim many times - that there is bacteria in the water (of course there is - tank water is not sterile) - but I am not aware of any data that it is not rapidly replaced with a water change, etc - or that fluctuating levels are harmful. Have always thought/heard/read that the vast majority of bacteria present in a reef tank is on the 'stuff'. Thanks for answering:)
My understanding is that the bulk of the bacteria is benthic so unless you're vigorously vacuuming, I wouldn't expect a large decrease in the bacterial content.

As long as the parameters are very close, you can do huge water changes. I've done 80 or more percent with close to matched parameters with no noticeable stress.

If done improperly, you could easily crash a tank with a large water change, though.

Derek Clifford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be another option like, I don't do WCs because the method I use make it unnecessary. There is a difference in somebody choosing not to do water changes because they just don't want to versus not doing them because the dose using a method.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes for me are crazy, I don’t do the same thing each time. I have a 90 gal with a lot of structure, 10 gal in sump. I may do 5 gals on week, 10 the next. I do 2 times a month. Doesn’t seem to bother my corals. I always adjust kH and Ca, if needed. I add aminos, trace elements, vitamin supplement and SeaChem Fusion 3x week. Getting doser next year.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have done a 15 gal changes with gravel vacuum 4 days in a row with no immediate detrimental effects on my 90. The problem came later and it took me almost a year to correct. My tank was too low in nutrients for my LPS, polys and mushrooms. They started dying off. I had a small Cyanobacteria outbreak in a small area of the tank and did those changes to get rid of it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back