What percentage of what do you feed your fish daily? (Frozen, Pellet, Flake)

What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your FISH? Select all that apply.

• Frozen

Votes: 471 91.1%
  • Pellet

Votes: 332 64.2%
  • Flake

Votes: 183 35.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 98 19.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are all types of foods we can feed our fish from frozen to flake to pellet and more. Some believe one or the other is better but still some reefers use all the different types of foods for various reasons when it comes to feeding their fish. Today I would like to hear from you on frozen, pellet and flake foods. Remember we're talking about feeding your fish and not your corals.

1. What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your fish?

2. What is the percentage breakdown between frozen, pellet and flakes that you feed?
(example: 80% frozen, 10% pellet, 10% flake?)

3. Do you think there is an advantage of feeding one type of these foods over the other? (frozen, pellet, flake)

image via @fabutahoun
1.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
85% frozen (thawed) food, 5% dried (nori), 10% live food (red ogo macroalgae, *pods, occasional baby brine & occasional worms)

2x daily I feed my fish a very diverse mix of what they'd find in wild/nature

* pods - whenever I'm in LFS and they have live pods, I'll buy a bottle (or 2) of Tigger Pods or if I order anything from AlgaeBarn I include either Eco Pod or 5280 Pod mixed species selections

Frozen Food as of 2021-05-13.JPG

Last edited:

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- I feed Rods Foods, PE Mysis and Calanus daily. I keep a small batch thawed in the refrigerator and probably feed a total of 4-5 times a day. As well as 75ml of Phyto daily.

- 100% frozen, not including Nori Sheets

- Not sure on an advantage, to me frozen seems to be less likely to skew N/P and generally more "wholesome"

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- I feed Rods Foods, PE Mysis and Calanus daily. I keep a small batch thawed in the refrigerator and probably feed a total of 4-5 times a day. As well as 75ml of Phyto daily.

- 100% frozen, not including Nori Sheets

- Not sure on an advantage, to me frozen seems to be less likely to skew N:p and generally more "wholesome"
I feed 99% frozen PE Mysis......I feed a small amount of flake because that is the only thing that My Xmas Wrasse will eat. Only advantage (or disadvantage) I see is that some foods (like pellet) contain much more phosphates,nitrates than others....probably more due to the condensed, nutrient packed smaller pellets.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your fish?

As pictured below Plus 3 types of flakes by Ocean nutrition, PE Mysis flakes, PE Mysis Pellets, new life spectrum pellets, TDO pellets

2. What is the percentage breakdown between frozen, pellet and flakes that you feed?
(example: 80% frozen, 10% pellet, 10% flake?)
15% pellets , 5% flake and 80% frozen

3. Do you think there is an advantage of feeding one type of these foods over the other? (frozen, pellet, flake)

frozen is as close to fresh as it gets plus the added vitamins and aminos.

E93791CB-CDA9-4103-AB25-FD1143AB06FB.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DEAR EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD....

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT PERCENTAGE OF WHAT YOU ARE FEEDING PLEASE! (example: 80% frozen, 10% pellet, 10% flake?)

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pellets, freeze dried mysis and krill in my auto feeder twice during the day and once at night. Homemade frozen food in the evening and noticed sheets a few times a week.
Overall, 50% frozen, 25% pellets, 25% freeze dried/dry. I like giving a variety to hopefully balance the nutrition.

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your fish? - PE Mysis, Spirulina Brine Shrimp, Clam or mussels on 1/2 shell, live white worms.

(example: 80% frozen, 10% pellet, 10% flake?) - 80% Frozen, 10% Dried Nori, 5% fresh shellfish, 5% White Worms

3. Do you think there is an advantage of feeding one type of these foods over the other? (frozen, pellet, flake) - Personally bias against prepared foods. I belive frozen foods are closer to what our fishes feed on in the wild.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d estimate 99% frozen/freshly frozen. Of the frozen it’s mostly LRS reef frenzy but also a smattering of what @vetteguy53081 showed in his photo as well as fresh seafood from the store and what I catch myself (salmon halibut tuna). I thaw, mix it all together and freeze in silicone cube trays. I also include chopped up nori sheets in this mix.

i feed small amounts 3-8x per day.

on occasion I put in some flake or pellets to keep the fish on their toes.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back