What percentage of what do you feed your fish daily? (Frozen, Pellet, Flake)

What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your FISH? Select all that apply.

• Frozen

Votes: 471 91.1%
  • Pellet

Votes: 332 64.2%
  • Flake

Votes: 183 35.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 98 19.0%

• Total voters

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would estimate....
50% pellets.
40% frozen
8% flakes
2% live food ( cheap bag of live food from lfs once a month roughly)
Would like to feed live food more often,which i would if lived closer to the lfs or made my own cultures
I think pellets/flakes/frozen will have all the goodness in them what the fish need but just feel live foods,with fish actually chasing down there food is more natural and beneficial for the fish and be more beneficial for our little friends ( but more and more fish these days never seen the ocean or had to go look/ chase their food) as always been in a glass box and adapt to that. But personally just feel live foods be much better for them.
Whether thats from the bacteria inside the live food or whatever reason it is i think best.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your fish?
Several types of frozen, pellets, live brine napalli & nori

2. What is the percentage breakdown between frozen, pellet and flakes that you feed?

Hard to say, I mix it up constantly. Maybe 80% frozen (3 cubes/day), 10% nori (2-3 sheets/day), 5% pellets (couple small pinches as only 2 fish eat it plus hermits) and 5% napulli (again only the smaller fish and corals eat it). The live brine I feed as it's hatching and I hatch every week or 2. So they get it for like 2 days, a couple times a day, approximately every other week.

3. Do you think there is an advantage of feeding one type of these foods over the other?
Each type has it's advantages. Frozen & live = seems more natural, pellets have lots of other nutrition/vitamins added and is only way my omnivorous (clowns) get their veggies, plus what doesn't get eaten sinks to the bottom for the hermits and carnivorous snails, etc.. Nori and algae are required diet for Tangs. I also soak the frozen in vitamins every few days.

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed once daily right now (newer blue star leapord so trying to transition her to frozen). Right now I feed primarily RN concentrated arctipods mixed with live copepods (only thing the blue star leapord will eat right now), I occasionally feed LRS reef frenzy (will eventually transition all fish to this), and occasionally frozen mysis, and have pellets that I rarely feed.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
E93791CB-CDA9-4103-AB25-FD1143AB06FB.jpeg
Dang!! If I’m reincarnated as a fish, I hope I live in your tank. Like Golden Corral all year long!

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my father's 75 gal, I feed frozen (cause that's what he wants).
And in my 15 gal, I do mostly flakes but also pellets sometimes.

Here are the advantages I see in each.

FROZEN
Fish are more likely to accept it (and I have a sneaking suspicion that nassarius snails as well).

PELLETS
Are nutrient packed.
Are cheaper than frozen.
They also don't take up freezer space or need defrosting.
Most of my fish accept it (my filefish is still too small, hence the reason I'm still feeding flakes).
Fish are able to consume most of what you put into the tank (with frozen and flakes a lot of the smaller bits get lost in the cracks).

FLAKES
Are way cheaper (Although similar to frozen food, I still stir it into a cup of water before feeding it. That way it doesn't all float on the surface).

Overall. If you're able I would recommend pellets. Not only are they nutritious and cheap. They can also be fed automatically via a feeder (making going away from home much easier).

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 50% Flake and pellets and 50% frozen.
Flake and pellets in the morning
Frozen in the evening.

The reason I use flake and pellets is because they have quite a lot more fat and protein than frozen which I think the fish need.

Finallysalty80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80% frozen (mostly mysis, brine, fish eggs, reef plankton mix)

10% live (various pods and phyto)

10% nori

I think there's always an advantage in trying to closely simulate a natural, varied diet for the mini ecosystem we are recreating in our homes.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed:

Two tablespoons of 1mm and 1 tablespoon of 2mm new life spectrum pellets per day. I also feed two cubes of brine shrimp every other day and two cubes of mysis on the other days. Sometimes, I throw in two tablespoons of mixed 1mm and 2mm Sustainable aquatics pellets and some frozen oyster eggs.

All of this along with 6-8 half sheets of nori a day.

There are also a ton of copepods that get consumed and I get ulva once in a while and broccoli about once a week.

240 gallon with 8 tangs and several other fish.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
95% pellets maybe frozen once a month . When I feed frozen my regal goes and hides lol but he will eat like 30 pellets. I do mix nls pellets with their algaemax formula . Maybe I'll give them some fish frenzy tonight lol

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your fish? -
Hikari Seaweed Extreme
NFS Marine Fish
PE Pellets and Flakes
BRS Nori
LRS frozen
Rod's Food
Hikari Mysis and Gut Loaded Mysis

2. What is the percentage breakdown between frozen, pellet and flakes that you feed? (example: 80% frozen, 10% pellet, 10% flake?) - 50/50 frozen to dry. Nori when the tank looks too clean for the grazers.

3. Do you think there is an advantage of feeding one type of these foods over the other? (frozen, pellet, flake) -
My tank runs towards the low nutrient end. I prefer the prepared dry food for the nitrate and phos and actually need it or I just have to dose them. I feed frozen for the variety.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back