What percentage of what do you feed your fish daily? (Frozen, Pellet, Flake)

What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your FISH? Select all that apply.

• Frozen

Votes: 471 91.1%
  • Pellet

Votes: 332 64.2%
  • Flake

Votes: 183 35.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 98 19.0%

• Total voters

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your fish?
A variety of Hikari frozen cubes and Reef Nutrition TDO Chromaboost pellets.

2. What is the percentage breakdown between frozen, pellet and flakes that you feed?

Probably about 50% frozen and 50% pellets.

3. Do you think there is an advantage of feeding one type of these foods over the other?
Hard to say. So many reefers have success (or not) with any combination of the above.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75% frozen
10% flakes
5% pellets
5% live (grindal worms)
5% Nori (tried dulse, but the fish weren't buying it)

I just can't get all the fish (and I don't have that many) interested in the same foods at the same time. A scattering of flakes at the beginning of feeding allows the gluttons to feel full while allowing the slowpokes (my poor pygmy filefish!) to get their share.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish aren't finicky eaters. I mix it up daily. if it's frozen I feed heavy once a day. Flake or pellet 3x/day. By weight frozen 90% flake/pellet 10%

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75% pellet - 25% flake/nori - every day
a nice slug of Mysis/Rods/homemade every 2 to 3 days

Some broadcast/spot feeding once a week to the corals

pellets from an auto feeder - flake by hand

this fits my schedule and keeps them plump, and healthy (knock on real wood)

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are all types of foods we can feed our fish from frozen to flake to pellet and more. Some believe one or the other is better but still some reefers use all the different types of foods for various reasons when it comes to feeding their fish. Today I would like to hear from you on frozen, pellet and flake foods. Remember we're talking about feeding your fish and not your corals.

2. What is the percentage breakdown between frozen, pellet and flakes that you feed?
(example: 80% frozen, 10% pellet, 10% flake?)

3. Do you think there is an advantage of feeding one type of these foods over the other? (frozen, pellet, flake)

image via @fabutahoun
1.jpg
My tank is new ... 1 month old, and has only 10 teensy frags. 5 fishes will arrive soon.

Currently I cukture and feed 100% live planktons (Nanchloropsis, Isochrysis Galbana, Tetraselmis, L- Rotifers and Tisbe Pods) - total 500 ml daily.

Once the fish arrive - I will supplement 33% of the feed with - Reef Nutrition's CD Crossover Fish and Coral Food.

So my final state will be:
  1. 67% Live Food auto-dosed
  2. 33% Pellet Food auto-fed
  3. 0% frozen food

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix 2 frozen cubes of reef frenzy, one freeze dried cube brs brine shrimp a generous dose of Selcon and a good splash of nyos Artemis. Last about four feedings, 2 days, 2 tanks

Robert Riccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a variety of frozen foods and supplement every other week with live amphipods, copepods, brine shrimp and mysis if available.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHat- No Raw? :)

All frozen for a typical day my sis aka Mysis-(lol) brine with spirulina. ~ 50/50%

Raw (dried) seaweed ~2%

and on Christmas, federal holidays and BBQ’s they get salmon if the family is having that.

Raw oysters from pier pilings (if I go to the harbor) and clams at random when I remember. 1/month.

I find that it is important to feed them often to keep the nitrate levels detectable and the fish like it too.

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen, Pellet, and live baby brine

45% Frozen
45% Live baby brine
10% Pellet

3. Do you think there is an advantage of feeding one type of these foods over the other?
I think pellets have a better nutritional balance than frozen or live but it's harder to get some fish to eat it. Everyone goes crazy for the live baby brine.

Justin Swinney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori every day but my other food is
60% frozen (LRS reef frenzy)
20% pellet (SA hatchery diet)
20% freeze dried mysis/calanus (BRS). (I’ve found the freeze dried variants have higher protein values over frozen)

aloisspark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are all types of foods we can feed our fish from frozen to flake to pellet and more. Some believe one or the other is better but still some reefers use all the different types of foods for various reasons when it comes to feeding their fish. Today I would like to hear from you on frozen, pellet and flake foods. Remember we're talking about feeding your fish and not your corals.

(example: 80% frozen, 10% pellet, 10% flake?)

3. Do you think there is an advantage of feeding one type of these foods over the other? (frozen, pellet, flake)

image via @fabutahoun
1.jpg
80% Frozen 20% pellets ! :)

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last 10 years, I've been buying a bag of frozen seafood mix and blending it up. My fish have always been healthy and I never quarantine anything. Recently, I had my first ICK outbreak ever. I've been following Paul B on this forum for quite some time. I decided to follow his feeding recommendations using live white worms and feeding fresh shucked oysters and clams with some other non frozen seafood. I freeze them after purchase. Ick dissappeared and within a month of feeding these, one of my Clownfish pairs started laying eggs.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back