What percentage of what do you feed your fish daily? (Frozen, Pellet, Flake)

What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your FISH? Select all that apply.

• Frozen

Votes: 471 91.1%
  • Pellet

Votes: 332 64.2%
  • Flake

Votes: 183 35.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 98 19.0%

• Total voters

Manny D. Mandarin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E93791CB-CDA9-4103-AB25-FD1143AB06FB.jpeg
I need to go visit your tank!- That's some good eating!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree !!! LOL

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen food twice per day (morning and evening), 1 cube each session of my special home-made "special reserve frozen food" and half a sheet of nori every other day. My special recipe includes a bag of assorted seafood from Costco (shrimp, squid, clams, muscles, etc.) which I process in a food blender. To this I add 1 flat pack each of krill, brine shrimp, and blood worms, 5 sheets of nori (crumbled), scoops of spirulina, vitachem, reef roids, garlic guard and coral amino. I toss the mixture and place into ice-cube trays (reference below). Fish go crazy for this stuff and it has the added benefit of feeding coral.

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30% pellets 65% frozen 5% live (mysis or brine)

i believe pellets are what everyone should be getting their fish to eat. especially spectrum pellets. while it may seem unnatural for them to eat such, it basically covers their whole diet in the wild and can be fed to any fish.
however i feed a large portion of frozen now because i have a mandarin and rainford goby.
and live gives them a little bit of exercise

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% frozen except for nori every day. I feed LRS Fish Frenzy for one feeding a day and rotate between Hikari mysis, Spirulina brine shimp, Hikari Mega Marine, Hikari Squid, and occasionally blood worms as a treat.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tanks 100% flake and 1 tank 100% pellets. I would prefer pellets over flake because there is less waste/pollution. frozen is good for health of fish and a bonus if you have corals.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
95% homemade frozen, 5% pellet, or store bought frozen if I'm out. With the ease of making your own from wild caught ANTIBIOTICS free, why not. How many frozen or pellet / flake manufacturers list their actual source on ingredients? I have seen none, if someone knows of one please enlighten. It's profit margin, and I don't blame them in that respect... I won't put that junk in my own body, so why my tank? It's really no more expensive to make your own...what do all these antibiotic concoctions do to a creature that small?

Last edited:

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the feedings are frozen mysis and brine in a 4:1 mixture. I supplement with tdo and super eggs. Hang purple porphyria every other day or so (the wrasses go after this more than the tang!)

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Ocean Nutrition Reef Prime flakes first thing in am, then Seaweed extreme for tangs afternoon, then Spectrum A+ early evening, then twice a week frozen mysis. Nori attached to clip every other day

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 2 cubes of mysis/algae based frozen like Emerald Entree in the morning. That is about 20% of the food. Then 4 turns of the auto feeder filled with TDO and Seaweed Extreme through the rest of the day. About 1/8 tsp per turn and my mix is about 3 grams per tsp so I feed about 2 1/4 grams of dry food a day. Remove the water weight from a cube of mysis and you get somewhere between .3 and .15 grams. The trouble is that mysis does not have wasted ash weight and is higher in protein and lower in fat so how can you really compare the two? Subtract all the water from each, equal the protein content? Add to this that many of the values are min% and often don't add to 100% so who knows.
The benefit of pellet is simple. I couldn't feed my fish more than once a day without it. Pellet food is also much cheaper and I don't have to go to the store as often as I don't like to fill my freezer with fish food. Based on the numbers I am theoretically dumping somewhere around 20x the phosphate into my tank vs when I fed frozen only but my phosphate sits at .03% regardless so it works for me.

Back