What percentage of what do you feed your fish daily? (Frozen, Pellet, Flake)

What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your FISH? Select all that apply.

• Frozen

Votes: 471 91.1%
  • Pellet

Votes: 332 64.2%
  • Flake

Votes: 183 35.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 98 19.0%

• Total voters

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your fish?
Frozen - Generally 50% Mysis and 50% other random ones, I've used chopped krill, cyclopods, mixed frozen things. Pellets I use ocean nutrition 1 & 2. I don't really like how 1 sinks too quickly, so i generally just 2.

2. What is the percentage breakdown between frozen, pellet and flakes that you feed?
(example: 80% frozen, 10% pellet, 10% flake?)
It changes with how busy I am. Generally is probably around 65/70% Frozen, the rest pellets.

3. Do you think there is an advantage of feeding one type of these foods over the other? (frozen, pellet, flake)

Pellets are super convenient. Drop them in walk away etc. Frozen is much better in regards to also feeding corals, I have a lot of lps, which love catching stray mysis. I don't have a clue what is best nutritionally, so id rather mix it up.

Ruben Sacramento

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen (rotifers, mysis, red plankton, copepods, krill pacifica and cyclops) and pellets on a daily basis

2. What is the percentage breakdown between frozen, pellet and flakes that you feed?

90% frozen (one cube of each type) and 10% pellets ( twice per day on the autofeeder)

3. Do you think there is an advantage of feeding one type of these foods over the other?
I prefer frozen to dried foods as they are closest to the livestock natural diet and has balanced nutrient levels

Bleakborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was feeding frozen 100% of the time (a quarter cube of Marine Cuisine to my 6 fish in my 40gallon Cube) but after listening to Reef Builders: Reef Therapy podcast about food I decided to switch it up to reduce some of my nutrient issues and now I feed my fish flakes 6 days a week and 1 day of frozen, seems to be helping my nutrient issues.

But In my 40 Gallon Breeder Mangrove tank, that I keep my Frogfish food in, I feed everything still (frozen, pellets and flake)

I also feed live Ghost Shrimp to my Frogfishes.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make a concoction, lol a weeks worth

Seachem:
Reef plus-4 capful
Reef complete-4 capful
Garlic guard-1/4 capful (roughly used every 2-3 weeks only)

Hikari frozen fish food:
4 cubes-Krill (orange)
4 cubes-Ocean plankton (orange)
4 cubes-mysis shrimp (purple)
4 cubes-Spirulina Brine Shrimp (green)
5-6 cubes-Baby Brine Shrimp (pink/red)

3 tsp-Reef Roids

10 drops- Selcon

Tank water in container until full.

It's crazy, but good, lol

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium system is a high nutrient setup that only utilizes the bio filter for filtration. It so effectively uses the nitrates and phosphates that I feed my 17 fish frozen, pellets and flake food every day.

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 vastly different tanks. 1 softie reef, 1 LPS/ Stony reef, 1 African cichlid tank and I planted tetra tank. They all get ocean nutrition veggie flakes everyday and mysis twice a week. Fu Manchu gets krill everyday. Simple. All have great color, healthy and growing

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I voted ‘frozen’, ‘pellet’ and ‘other’. Frozen: I feed mysis, clams, silversides, hikari angel, cyclops, rotifers, LRS, krill, hikari ocean plankton, Cyclopeeze, fish eggs. Pellet: reef blizzard a, fauna Marin LPS medium. Other: I cultivate various live foods, and I dose live nanochloropsis and tetraselmis and dried nori.

2. What is the percentage breakdown between frozen, pellet and flakes that you feed? (example: 80% frozen, 10% pellet, 10% flake?)

By weight, excluding phytoplankton and nori, probably 90% frozen. By nutritional content, hard to say, frozen is mostly water.

3. Do you think there is an advantage of feeding one type of these foods over the other? (frozen, pellet, flake)

Yes. Some fish only eat certain things. I’d never get my eel to eat pellets, flake or nori for example.

Anthias too: often they will only eat frozen for the first few days. They will eventually eat flake and pellets though.

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed:
Frosen mysis, artemia, bloodworms
Pieces of mussele squid and shrimp
Saki hikari carnivor pellets and kelp pellets
Small pieces ofnori seaweed
Aquaforest loquid mysis

Feed about 3 times/day every time a different combination

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75% flakes. Auto feeder twice a day. With pellets and San Francisco frozen plankton.
one nori sheet a day.
PE mysis twice a week.
silversides for two big anemones

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We make our own frozen concoction which is a blend of high quality seafoods (tuna steak, scallops, crab, and others. We add pellets, fish eggs and various algaes to make it a diet consumable by all types of creatures from snails to crabs, lobster, fish and anemones. Our creatures have done really well and have great growth.
2. What is the percentage breakdown between frozen, pellet and flakes that you feed? (example: 80% frozen, 10% pellet, 10% flake?)
99.9 percent frozen and .1% pellets of short on time
We just feel like the frozen seafood diet is the most natural, especially for the carnivores and omnivores but even our herbivores have eaten the seafood portion but there’s also algae and seaweed mixed in for them. Lots of times the shrimp will grab a piece of seaweed and clean stuff off of it before eating the seaweed itself

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live worms a few times a week, fresh or freshly frozen clams, the rest is commercial frozen. :cool:
I can't figure percentages as it varies with my mood.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 cubes frozen and one big pinch flake per day green nori half sheet everyother day. I do use san. Bay brine the frozen slab I brake it up and try to guess about a cube out of it it is cheaper and the fish do not care what one they get.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 cubes frozen and one big pinch flake per day green nori half sheet everyother day. I do use san. Bay brine the frozen slab I brake it up and try to guess about a cube out of it it is cheaper and the fish do not care what one they get.
3 12 oz. Bottles of pods.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classic frozen:
Rotation of LRS Reef, Fish and Herbivore Frenzy foods in the mornings and evenings, complemented by a rotation of several SanFranBay and Hikari frozen foods in the evenings. Approximately 60%.

Pellets:
NLS Marine, morning and evening, sometimes midday. Approximately 25%.

Nori, homegrown hair algae from the overflows. Occasional; several days weekly.

Fresh or whole-frozen clams. Occasional; a couple of days weekly.

Flakes - sometimes, when I feel like watching the fish chase something.

~B.

moulton1853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say 98% frozen. Twice a week I put in live baby brine shrimp. Once a week I throw in pods from a separate culture I have going. About every 3 days I will put down some tiny pellets for the mandarin.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back