What percentage of what do you feed your fish daily? (Frozen, Pellet, Flake)

What are all the different "types" of food that you feed your FISH? Select all that apply.

• Frozen

Votes: 471 91.1%
  • Pellet

Votes: 332 64.2%
  • Flake

Votes: 183 35.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 98 19.0%

• Total voters

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
70% frozen
20% flakes
10% live food

morning feed, home made frozen
midday, flakes on auto feeder
dinner, different homemade frozen

once or twice a week i will not feed flakes/breakfast and feed live white worms

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 80% frozen. I have one fish that will only eat primarily frozen food. It's my copperband Butterfly. He eats the food from my fingers. But, he'll for the most part only eat my homemade frozen food, I haven't found much in cubes that he likes. . .

I make my homemade frozen from scallops, mahi-ahi tuna, and indian red shrimp (or whatever frozen raw shrimp Costco has at the time.) I grate it with a cheese grater attachment for my Kitchen aid mixer. I combine it with nori, pellets, freezer dried mysis, some flake, some fish eggs for smaller fish, some pellets, and powders for corals. I add in some aminos and two bottles of selcon. All the fats and oils from the tuna, scallops and shrimp mix with the selcon into the mysis to provide a nutritional delivery system.

I flatten it into 1 gallon freezer bags and throw in the freezer. I make enough for 10-12 months and feed 1-2 times a day. My fish all go nuts for it. It has something for everyone. After feeding it for 2 years now, my fish have been healthy and show no signs of any symptoms of anything. (Knock on wood).

I do supplement with Nori once every 2 days or so. I notice my tang agression increases significantly if I go more than two days. I clip that on in the morning and feed the frozen in the evening. I have an auto feeder that feeds a combination of quality pellets for my anthias and I found some of my angels like the additional feeding in the morning as well. That's just supplemental and takes care of 8-10 fish. The rest wait for frozen food...

I'm looking into a frozen feeder. One should be on the market here the end of this calendar year. I'm hoping to preorder and report back on how well it works for me. I may need two of them to feed the 27 or so fish I have.

bruce53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DEAR EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD....

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT PERCENTAGE OF WHAT YOU ARE FEEDING PLEASE! (example: 80% frozen, 10% pellet, 10% flake?)
90% frozen rest mix of flake and freeze dried with pellets mixed in.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
85% frozen (thawed) food, 5% dried (nori), 10% live food (red ogo macroalgae, *pods, occasional baby brine & occasional worms)

2x daily I feed my fish a very diverse mix of what they'd find in wild/nature

* pods - whenever I'm in LFS and they have live pods, I'll buy a bottle (or 2) of Tigger Pods or if I order anything from AlgaeBarn I include either Eco Pod or 5280 Pod mixed species selections

Frozen Food as of 2021-05-13.JPG
Thanks so much for supporting your LFS!

If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Best,
Chad

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed almost exclusive frozen because it’s the closest to real food, I do supplement with Nori sheets for the Tangs and pellets when I’m out of town and use the auto feeder

ScubaJan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone feed “reef frenzy”. I feed that and frozen mysis shrimp probebly 80% and flakes 20%.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since fish in the sea eat 100% live food, I am surprised that isn't one of the choices? :oops:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back