What piece of Equipment would I have bought if I knew how important it was in the beginning.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully some long time Reefers will chime in here, even if they agree with other posters about the equipment, giving us an indication of what equipment we should have bought when we setup that tank. In over twenty years of playing in water I should have done this sooner.

For me, I wish I had started with an ATO, especially in an AIO (All In One) tank. I run an AIO with the lid off, and it is incredible how often that ATO is operating during the day, and how salinity will swing during the day without the ATO on an AIO. Salinity is very important to keep stable. All my independent tanks now have ATO on them, and I have seen a dramatic response, in the absence of my laziness. :D

What was your piece of equipment?

Cheers

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the most obvious one but I should have had a bigger tank. I started with an innovative marine 20 in August, but then switched to an IM40 by New Years. Then I had the 40 gallon for 2.5 years.

When I set up the 20 gallon I had previously only had a 10g freshwater tank so 20 seemed huge. But it doesn’t take long to run out of space or swimming room.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No competition, auto water changes. I think almost every problem i had with the first few tanks could have been avoided with awc. Have apex pumps now but even a standalone litermeter or similar would do the trick.

I'm looking at this myself. A little complicated for the new reefer but doable, and shows how important stability is, leading to long term success, and staying in Reefing, as well as removing stress of other issues popping up.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the most obvious one but I should have had a bigger tank. I started with an innovative marine 20 in August, but then switched to an IM40 by New Years. Then I had the 40 gallon for 2.5 years.

When I set up the 20 gallon I had previously only had a 10g freshwater tank so 20 seemed huge. But it doesn’t take long to run out of space or swimming room.

I agree, go as large as you can. I would almost say, if you have a 40G or larger, plumb it now for a Sump, even if you cap it off.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mine would be the ATO! I got tired of pouring water every single day for a year long, then I got fed up and decided to buy an ato. I definitely do not regret it.

FYI, there was a thread similar to this from revhtree!

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would be the ATO! I got tired of pouring water every single day for a year long, then I got fed up and decided to buy an ato. I definitely do not regret it.

FYI, there was a thread similar to this from revhtree!

Thanks @Gernader I just reinvented the wheel...;Facepalm Missed that, but that is a great post. Everyone, welcome to post here, or jump over to the other post.

Thanks.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ato and dosing pumps are my pics for a mixed reef. Once you get your 2 part dialed in it removes the constant worry if you remembered to add cal, alk. The apex is like the cherry on top, allows me to tinker and continue to automate daily chores

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have gotten a smaller tank. Started off a couple decades ago with over 100g but I would have been better off with an all in one or a 40b. Less overwhelming and less money.

Thank you for that reply. I would have thought bigger, but did not stop to think of what you mentioned. Thanks.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the gate a good wavemaker. Using a Maxspect gyre now, was the best thing to help cycle the tank and keep detritus from building up... which it still does today. It's a vital part of our tanks, it's why the wavemaker and my heaters are on backup up batteries. :)

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the gate a good wavemaker. Using a Maxspect gyre now, was the best thing to help cycle the tank and keep detritus from building up... which it still does today. It's a vital part of our tanks, it's why the wavemaker and my heaters are on backup up batteries. :)

I know I did not do it, but making your AquaScape detritus compatible. Thinking ahead to how you can move the detritus around so it is easier to clean, or moving into the water column to be filtered off.

EDIT: What I meant above, was do not have the rock so far back in the tank that you have dead spots/zones, have a good space so you can move a power head to the side and shoot a jet of water down the back and get the detritus out from behind, or setup the power heads to be able to use a circular motion of water. It also helps to have that space to clean, chase fish etc.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back