What piece of Equipment would I have bought if I knew how important it was in the beginning.

jacalhou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, and Welcome to R2R. Jump in to some of the threads, I'm sure you have plenty of answers.

The ATO seems to be a theme we keep seeing.
Thanks! I’ve been floating around here for a while, but haven’t posted before. I’ve been into the hobby for a year now and love it. It’s amazing what you learn after such a short time. I always enjoy this type of thread.

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully some long time Reefers will chime in here, even if they agree with other posters about the equipment, giving us an indication of what equipment we should have bought when we setup that tank. In over twenty years of playing in water I should have done this sooner.

For me, I wish I had started with an ATO, especially in an AIO (All In One) tank. I run an AIO with the lid off, and it is incredible how often that ATO is operating during the day, and how salinity will swing during the day without the ATO on an AIO. Salinity is very important to keep stable. All my independent tanks now have ATO on them, and I have seen a dramatic response, in the absence of my laziness. :D

What was your piece of equipment?

Cheers
Mine would have been not buying "starter" lights and opting for the right lights for the tank the first time around lol since then i havent really found a lot to be "i wish i would have..."

Although i do need to get an ATO for my tank...do you have a suggestion?

OP
OP
Bryn

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would have been not buying "starter" lights and opting for the right lights for the tank the first time around lol since then i havent really found a lot to be "i wish i would have..."

Although i do need to get an ATO for my tank...do you have a suggestion?

Not many to choose from, but have settled on the Tunze Nano 3152. I try and pick these up during a black sale event.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaning towards a couple possibles. I have had the zipper surgery and lugging buckets around is a small problem but strength is returning.. SO.. I would say Auto Water changes or at least a means to not carry buckets. As I have to travel about 20 feet even carrying what I pull out.

My second choice has to be ATO.. for all the obvious reasons.

dhboiler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What issues did you have with the canister? I'm just starting in the hobby now and got a canister filter for my 14g breeder.
Canisters can be a pain to maintain. I was more apt to skip or put off maintenance because it was a hassle. It was a lot easier to change out a filter pad once and awhile.

jam3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
A bit embarrassed to admit this but took me 20 years to get an ATO, doser, and rodi unit all of which happened this year while i am sitting at home due to covid. I think part of the reason is because I was still young and active and didn’t think about automation as much. Now that I have to think about other priorities made sense to set it and forget it. Used a drinking water system before and while that’s great think 0 tds is better for consistency. Next up like a lot of ppl said awc!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A large mixing vessel + mixing pump for doing water changes. I spent 10 years manually mixing salt in little 5 gallon buckets until I realized that the 20 gallon play bucket was clean and available. AND I didn't have to spend 30 minutes chanting "double double toil and trouble" while stirring it after I realized that I had a spare powerhead. Once I move and set everything up, I'm definitely upgrading to a giant rubbermaid trashcan and submersible pump.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share with me your setup with this 1.1 BRS pump for kalk. I have a couple of these seating around for a few years and would like to give it a use . Do you have a kalk stirrer then push water with this pump? And diagrams or pictures would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a square 5 gallon container something like this https://www.bestcontainers.com/049-...MIg-bL6Mui6gIVydSzCh1ygQjIEAQYByABEgJjZfD_BwE. I use BRS pharm grade kalk, mixes really well. Very little residue. I usually mix up 3 to 5 gallons at a time manually. I have a rigid piece of tubing going through the cap of the container which ends about an inch off the bottom. This is attached outside the container to the flexible tubing going to the BRS doser, the output hose goes to my sump. The dosing pump is controlled by a standard peg style light timer with 15 minute increments. Doser turns on and doses for 15 minutes every hour. I started with weak kalk 1/4 tsp per gallon and now am up to 1 tsp per gallon.

This is on a mostly softy/LPS 29 gallon tank with heavy coralline growth. My two newest SPS have been doing well for several months. It has been the most consistant way to deliver calcium for me. Slow dripping worked fine for me at times, but would shoot alk really high if I dripped too fast. Kalk reactors, I had one DIY system which in theory works, but I don't like them hooked to an ATO.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had more money to spend on better lights, doesn't even have to be anything crazy just something better then my current orbit pros LOL. Now I can't upgrade due to how my tank is configured unless i want to rearrange all my corals and risk killing them. Lesson learned for the next tank haha.

Mrtakeoff53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO 100000%. It keeps salinity, alk and ca super stable (I run kalk in my ato). Most things are a ‘nice to have’ (top of the line wave makers, $800 LEDs, bigger tank, dosing pumps, auto water changes) but EVERY tank ever made is going to need to add back evaporated water. This is the biggest time saver ever.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 77.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back