What piece of Reefing Equipment should I choose?

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never had any of the larger tangs but you will definitely need a bigger tank at some point, these guys get so big they will have trouble swimming once they reach like 8+ inches. Now i get the nitrates too, these guys eat and crap a lot so its probably getting bound in the sand.
If they want to nip at the tridacna clams, thats weird, but will prob just be the appetite of the individual fish and not much you could do about that. I find my tang will try to bite everything at least once to see if it likes it anyway
You're right about them bitting everything at least once lol. My Blue Hippo Tang favorite dessert is blue cespitularia. This is a picture of it in my Coral Quarantine Aquarium, the long white one. Yeah, it doesn't look like that any more lol.
Resized_Great_Barrier_Reef_Clear_Water.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef frenzy is usually at most LFS or very similar products. I would check World wide corals

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't feed them brine shrimp as a staple. That's like feeding your kids popcorn for dinner.
BB has practically no nutritional value at all. Better to feed frozen mysis or formula 1
I think I'm going to switch to Fish Frenzy if I can find it at WWC. I usually soak the brine shrimp in Garlic and Selcon. I also have a tank that I breed pods and live brine shrimp that are feed spirulina. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae scrubber or algae Reactor is the way to go. The biggest bang for the buck and will lower NO3 and give more coral options.
Do you have a preference between the algea scrubber and algea reactor?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a preference between the algea scrubber and algea reactor?

From experience, I prefer the algae reactor. Took my high phosphates & nitrates to zero. Aquarium thrived after installing Tunze MAR.

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to throw out another option as a fellow Redsea Reefer 250 owner. I would go Clarisea filter roller. The sump can be modified to fit it... Not sure which sump you have or how much work you're willing to put in, but the clarisea would help with feeding since any excess food that makes it to overflow would be taken out of the water column instead of being trapped in the sump. Details on how to mod the sump are in my tank build thread.

20210505_205342.jpg

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to throw out another option as a fellow Redsea Reefer 250 owner. I would go Clarisea filter roller. The sump can be modified to fit it... Not sure which sump you have or how much work you're willing to put in, but the clarisea would help with feeding since any excess food that makes it to overflow would be taken out of the water column instead of being trapped in the sump. Details on how to mod the sump are in my tank build thread.

20210505_205342.jpg
Wow your sump looks great. Can you drop the link to your modifications here?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210413_111519.jpg

You can see in the picture above I kinda use what would be the refugium area as a filtration chamber. I run filter floss, Chem blue and some other media there. I don't use filter socks because they get nasty and the poo just breaks down in there unless you change them every two days. If I do set up a refugium I'd probably have to change everything around. I'd also have to figure out how to Quarantine the chaeto because nothing goes directly in my display tank.

Do you think a refugium would be just as good as an algea scrubber?

you got plenty of room in there. make a small manifold and feed an ATS and BRS mini reactor with carbon/GFO . ( this is what i would do)

another option is get a life reef external skimmer and use all that space for a big fuge.

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your sump looks great. Can you drop the link to your modifications here?
Yup! Here's my build thread. It's photo heavy with detailed instructions on how to mod the whole sump.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll wish you bought a quality uv once dinos hits your tank!

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never considered myself "tang police" but that is a comical list of tangs to keep in a 54g. And you're going to "teach the tang police a thing or two about keeping multiple tangs"?

I'd strongly consider doing some research. This is doomed to fail.

I dont want to be unhelpful. The 4 pieces of equipment you listed do different things. I wouldn't add anything unless it's needed, if it was needed you'd know which to choose.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never considered myself "tang police" but that is a comical list of tangs to keep in a 54g. And you're going to "teach the tang police a thing or two about keeping multiple tangs"?

I'd strongly consider doing some research. This is doomed to fail.

I dont want to be unhelpful. The 4 pieces of equipment you listed do different things. I wouldn't add anything unless it's needed, if it was needed you'd know which to choose.
All my tangs are happy and peaceful. Yes if someone wants to know how to keep multiple tangs I'm sure I could teach them a few things. I also have plenty of tanks in my home and would not hesitate to get them a bigger tank when the time comes.

As far the equipment goes, my Nitrates exploded when I cleaned my sand bed. I don't want to avoid cleaning the sand bed so I guess the main goal is to keep Nitrates under control. I also would like to feed my guys a more complex diet without worrying about adding to much nutrients to the aquarium.

Last edited:

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my tangs are happy and peaceful. Yes if someone wants to know how to keep multiple tangs I'm sure I could teach them a few things. I also have plenty of tanks in my home and would not hesitate to get them a bigger tank when the time comes.

As far the equipment goes, my Nitrates exploded when I cleaned my sand bed. I don't want to avoid cleaning the sand bed so I guess the main goal is to keep Nitrates under control. I also would like to feed my guys a more complex diet without worrying about adding to much nutrients to the aquarium.

Clean small sections of the sand at a time, that should help.

In that case, the media reactor makes the most sense. You can run a nitrate reducing medium. It'll be a constant battle, thats a fish list for a 400g tank.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back