What PO is ok to add dry rock to display tank?

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been treating Pukani and have given it a bleach treatment, acid bath, and it has been soaking in ROID w. heater for a few weeks. The PO reading started at .12 and had been dropping to .02 until my last reading which came in at .22. I know there is variance in these test kits (hanna) but is .22 good or should I be worried that organics deep within the rock are releasing? My display is currently dry so I could continue to cure it in the main tank. Thanks is advance for any opinions and advice.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think 0.22 alone would be a problem unless you are going for an ultra low nutrient system...

You could try leaving the rocks in rodi water and adding lanthanum chloride. It’s worked really well for me with brs pukani over ~3 weeks. You’d probably need even less time.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running some GFO in the brute but I could pick up some lanthanum chloride. Is it safe to add the LC to the display (assuming right now there is no life - just dry rock and salt water)?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s safe to add to a display even with fish and coral. I used to add to my old 200g once a month and it’s widely used by public aquariums.

It will cloud the water but it goes away in hours. You should add it into a felt filter sock. There’s some risk of it leaching back the phosphates under low pH (can’t recall what pH but believe it’s a value that would rarely occur in a normal tank) just to be safe you want to capture as much in a sock.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back