What powerheads and magnet cleaners for 3/4-1in glass?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you with monster tanks what magnetic glass cleaners and powerheads work well with 3/4in+ glass? My nero 5s and mp40s seem to just barely hang on when i test fit them today.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" glass I use a flipper max. I always store my magnetic cleaner outside the tank rinse with fresh water and dry after use. Always check the steel blade with my fingers tips for before use to make sure there is nothing that will scratch the glass. MP40s I agree barely hold on. Phanta Rhei pumps hold on 3/4"+ and large gyre pumps hold on 3/4" glass. I hate to say but 3/4"+ thick "commercial" flow pumps cone into play. For my new build I am also considering mounting pumps on struts that are connected to the aquarium canopy if magnet holders don't work out.

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" glass I use a flipper max. I always store my magnetic cleaner outside the tank rinse with fresh water and dry after use. Always check the steel blade with my fingers tips for before use to make sure there is nothing that will scratch the glass. MP40s I agree barely hold on. Phanta Rhei pumps hold on 3/4"+ and large gyre pumps hold on 3/4" glass. I hate to say but 3/4"+ thick "commercial" flow pumps cone into play. For my new build I am also considering mounting pumps on struts that are connected to the aquarium canopy if magnet holders don't work out.
Yeah i will be doing some hard lines for flow too but i like being able to move and place magnetic powerheads. Especially for cleaning.

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Neptune Systems WAV's will handle up to 1" glass. I've used two of them on my current 100gal tank that has 3/4" glass for the past 4 years and they don't move at all. Wet side of the pump is 4.25" long which is less than the smaller Phanta Rhei and can provide nearly twice the flow. I'm planning on running 6 to 8 of them on my new 450gallon build.

Last edited:

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 3/4 inch glass, I currently am running 2 MP40s, 2 MP60s, and 2 WAV pumps. The 60s are on the ends, just in case they may get a little bump they wont fall off. As far as the 40's they are on the back glass, no way to get bumped, and I have never had an issue with them falling off... The WAV magnets are a beast, no worries there, however I am not a fan of the limited angles you can get with them.

-Mike

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge fan of jebao powerheads. You can get 4 of them for the price of one MP. The best part is..... wait for it..... you can actually change the direction they are pointing!

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Tunze Strong for 3/4 inch glass

MP60s are great, if you can get them not to fall off and hit the floor. I did splurge on a hydro wizard for a 12 foot long tank and should have just started with that, in retrospect.

tyryfin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with my MP40’s and MP60’s. I just had a friend with a 3D printer make a support that will fit around the dry side that I will either silicone to the back wall or use heavy duty Velcro to hold them in place. Work in progress, just got them yesterday.

tyryfin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for scrapper I modified a Tunze 0222.020 Strong Care Magnet with the dry side of an old hammerhead cleaner and it works great and I got two cleaners out of it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back