What powerheads/gyres for best flow in large(310g) mixed reef tank?

Which powerheads or gyres for the sides of a tank do you prefer for 240g or larger aquariums

• Reef Octo Pulse 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maxspect XF280 Gyre

• Maxspect XF330 Gyre

• IceCap 4K Gyre

• IceCap 2k Gyre

• Other (specify in comments)

• Total voters

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting closer to having all of the equipment purchased for my 310 gallon (360 total volume) mixed reef tank. My tank is 8 feet long and 30 inches front to back and 25 inches tall. I’m having a really hard time deciding what powerheads/gyres to choose. My tank will largely be LPS and softies but I do plan on having a few of the easier to keep SPS as well such as birdsnest and monti, all goes well then I may try to add some more sps down the road.
Now on my back glass I planned on using a pair of Ecotech MP40’s blowing from back of glass towards front, mainly choosing those for the reason of not seeing the wires as my background is blue, so will be aesthetically more appealing. But for the sides I am torn on gyres or powerheads and how many. My original plan was a pair of Red Sea ReefWave 45 gyres on opposite ends of the tank but the more I keep reading and what not, the more I wonder if those are the best route to go.

What do you guys run for water flow in your large mixed reef tanks? How often are you having to do maintenance on your powerheads/gyres? What settings do you have them on or just constant power 24/7? Mainly looking to hear from those who have experience with mixed reef tanks of 240 gallons or larger. Thanks for any and all feedback and opinions you

05097224-6FE3-4130-A0EA-7D3717CA2EC7.jpeg

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with four (4) Red Sea ReefWave45s all along the back wall facing forward. Alternately, you could go with two on either side of the overflow and 2 on either end of the tank.
That’s not a bad idea either, I didn’t even consider doing something all along the back wall possibly

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 5

I have been looking at pumps for the last month or so. Got that itch to go for something better than the workhorse Tunze I currently have. [excellent line of pumps] I really want that Nero 5. I hear great things and from the videos I have seen of the flow pattern it is nearly identical to what I am wanting to add to my system.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back