What products/methods have you used/tried to 'cure' RTN

What products/Methods have you used to cure/treat RTN/STN?

• Checking parameters and correcting any abnormality but no other treatment.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • An Iodine Dip

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Coral glue to seal the area of damage

• Fragging off the area of damage

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Revive Coral Dip

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Product from Prime coral (StopRTN)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CoralRx Dip

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Antibiotics in a separate QT type tank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Throw the coral away its hopeless

• Some other method - describe in the comments

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a lot of talk about curing Rapid Tissue Necrosis (RTN) and Slow Tissue Necrosis (STN)Lately. How do people deal with it? In the comment section - please post how successful the treatment was - and why you used your particular method. Though it might have been better to allow people to select more than one item - I'm looking for the most successful for you (or which one you THINK is the most successful). If there are methods that did not work that are on the list - comment in the comment section.

EDIT: Assume that there has been no change in light, heat, or anything that would affect your parameters - and assume that its one coral in the tank affected - as compared to many or all of them

Last edited:

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a first test dipping in hydrogen peroxide mixed with tank water. This was done on a couple of frags of Acropora millepora and florida with some kind of slow necrosis.
The only result so far is that the dip didn't kill the corals. But I need to do more tests to see what it does to the survival rate.

Following along. Interested in dips with iodine, haven't tried that yet(or maybe in a product, without knowing the ingredients).

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, the success rate with stopping RTN/STN seems to also depend on the cause.

For example- if an acropora is RTNing due to being stung by a LPS coral or anemone, I must have a ~90% success rate with just fragging it slightly before where damage starts.

But if it is RTNing due to unknown conditions (most likely a parameter issue), the success rate of fragging it is clearly lower.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've done a first test dipping in hydrogen peroxide mixed with tank water. This was done on a couple of frags of Acropora millepora and florida with some kind of slow necrosis.
The only result so far is that the dip didn't kill the corals. But I need to do more tests to see what it does to the survival rate.

Following along. Interested in dips with iodine, haven't tried that yet(or maybe in a product, without knowing the ingredients).
Lugols is (one) iodine solution. I meant to add Hydrogen peroxide

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me, the success rate with stopping RTN/STN seems to also depend on the cause.

For example- if an acropora is RTNing due to being stung by a LPS coral or anemone, I must have a ~90% success rate with just fragging it slightly before where damage starts.

But if it is RTNing due to unknown conditions (most likely a parameter issue), the success rate of fragging it is clearly lower.

Yes - I was thinking more of if one coral in the tank were affected.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I was thinking more of if one coral in the tank were affected.

I think to come up with a solution, it will be necessary to distinguish what is the “overall” cause. Parameter issue, coral warfare, algae growth, “unknown” (Philaster?). It is silly to say that a single product/chemical can also STOP RTN that is caused by coral warfare.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I added the assumption to the poll description - that nothing like light/heat, etc has happened - and nothing else that should affect parameters - and also that only 1 as compared to many/all coral are affected.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think to come up with a solution, it will be necessary to distinguish what is the “overall” cause. Parameter issue, coral warfare, algae growth, “unknown” (Philaster?). It is silly to say that a single product can STOP RTN that is caused by coral warfare.

The 'cause' of RTN can be many things. The question / poll is to decide how to fix it (if possible). In other words - in the case you talked about with one coral stinging another - you still 'fragged' off the dead piece.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried most of the things on the poll. Absent any insight into cause, thus RTN solely as symptom descriptor, my cure rate is essentially non-existent. In fact, I generally don’t intervene at all - just let it run its course. If it is on a newly acquired coral, which represents the vast majority of my RTN cases, 99% of the colonies die. I would have said 100%, except I recently had a colony where the RTN stopped. Corals with necrosis from local stinging almost always recover once they are relocated. STN is almost always a localized issue from shading or predation and is easily arrested once the environmental issue is resolved.

I used to worry about RTN spreading to adjacent colonies, but I have not had this happen.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this was what my strawberry shortcake looked before it got stung by a falling gorg:
StrawberryShortcake4.jpg

Then this was last night

IMG_20190712_175339_1.jpg

Then this morning

IMG_20190713_124524.jpg

Cut the top of the one surviving stem off and now it looks like this

StrawberryShortcake5.jpg

Back