What Pump Can Truly Push Water 8 Feet

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two maxspect 280’s halfway down on the sides of my 6 ft work counter sync waves. I have them at about 50% so I’m pretty confident they will do the job at 8 ft too.
The gyres need to be cleaned like every 3 weeks or so. It is a bummer but they push such a strong tight stream of water I think they are worth it.

What I have done is take a 2" pvc tube, glued a cap in one end and then tapped a plastic hook to the end. I fill it with a citric acid solution, hand it on the tank and then take the gyre and plop it in there and let it run overnight. Not as clean as taking apart and scrubbing, but works wonders.
love this
Agree the gyres are a ton of work

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gyres need to be cleaned like every 3 weeks or so. It is a bummer but they push such a strong tight stream of water I think they are worth it.

What I have done is take a 2" pvc tube, glued a cap in one end and then tapped a plastic hook to the end. I fill it with a citric acid solution, hand it on the tank and then take the gyre and plop it in there and let it run overnight. Not as clean as taking apart and scrubbing, but works wonders.
Could you snap a picture of your "In-tank cleaning" tube? Sounds like a great idea!

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is currently sitting on its side in the garage :( it hangs off the outside of the tank. It's literally just a PVC tube with two caps. I used a pipe hanger (looks like a plastic j) that I taped to the tube

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Tunze 6155 and a 7ft tank. It gets most of the way across the top. I however wanted it to be one of three pumps, so I was fine with it. I would have gone with the 6255 if I wanted it as an only or one side pump. They are just quiet, reliable and push a lot of water.
I have mine on like 1/2" acrylic.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a Jebao OW-50 to my 6ft FOWLR. At the 2nd lowest setting it is reaching the other side. When putting it up to the mid range it absolutely creates a huge wide surge in the tank. You would have to find another magnet to stack on it as it is rated for 3/4 in. If you can go with Gyres I would suggest them first. I would have on this tank, but they dont fit due to my corner overflows. I have them on my mix reef.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on ALSO the gyres ability... I did use them on my former 7 foot tank and they hit the other side just fine. I moved away from them on my current build due to maintenance hassles. I like the idea of just swapping the wet head on the MP60s. I seem to be getting pretty good flow across my 12 foot tank with four MP60s and eductors on my return - but I can't say if gyres would be better or not.

If you do go with the gyres... here are some tips and considerations.

The first generations ones were a real PITA for maintenance... (the propellers were fragile and broke easily) but... I have managed to run the newer ones (with "ruggedized propellers") with far less breakdown and cleaning. I also found that the dual propeller setup can be a challenge during reassembly. Twice the chance to screw it up, put it in your tank, have it not work, and have to pull it all out again! I almost lost my sh$t like five times when that happened to me. Make sure you study the assembly process thoroughly or it will be an all afternoon chore to clean them.

Eventually... I found that running just ONE turbine really cut down on the need and difficulty of maintenance. I ran just two of them, single prop each, on a 7 foot tank (one on each side) which was JUST adequate for a mixed SPS tank. Also, maxspect has so far been really good about supplying all of the bushings, propellers, etc... needed to keep your pumps in action for a long time).

In summary, I would say that starting with either two gyres or three MP60s would be good choices either way. Save the fourth spot for a hydro-wizard after you see how those work.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back