what pump should i get?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got my tank up and running, and i have a somewhat old Mag3 on it currently, but the last 2 days the thing has been noisy and really annoying. its just a very loud humming, with a little vibration.

the plumbing goes up about 4-5ft, but it T's off to go the fuge before it goes to the main tank. if i close up one of those lines, most of the noise goes away, so i'm thinking i have some cavitating going on or something.

any ideas? or should i just try to go for a new pump? what would you suggest in the 300gph range?

this is what it looks like, i've messed with the ball valves and blown all the air out and the pump is still pretty loud.

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

sr71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about quiet one 4000 it's rated a 1017 gph but with all the head pressure and fittings it probably drop down to 300-500 gph and it's only draw 50w. 65 bucks at petsmart and free shipping. I was going to get one but went with pan world 50px-x rated at 1110 to connect to a wavy seas

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it noise from the mag vibrating on the glass/acrylic of the sump? I always have to use a little rubber to get rid of the noise on the mags I've used.

well, some of it is probably that, but i can hear clicking every now and then, like the prop is shaking inside the motor.

How about quiet one 4000 it's rated a 1017 gph but with all the head pressure and fittings it probably drop down to 300-500 gph and it's only draw 50w. 65 bucks at petsmart and free shipping. I was going to get one but went with pan world 50px-x rated at 1110 to connect to a wavy seas

i was thinking more on the lines of a quiet one 1200 rated for 300g. i mean, i dont really think i'm gonna lose that much in head pressure.

and i KNOW my mag3 didn't use to be this loud, so i'm wondering whats going on with it. i've opened it up many times and dont see any thing wrong that is noticable. the washers around the magnet are lose, could that be causing it to vibrate?

the other pump i was thinking about was the eheim 1250 at 300gph. i'm just not crazy about the barb type fittings on it as i'll have to redo things in my sump. it says the max head pressure is 6ft, i only need about 5ft. do you think i'll lose much? i'm not looking for this to add significant flow to the tank as my sump cant handle that, all i need is for it to push a small flow down to the sump.

IBMGeek

I Brake for Zoos!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say either and eheim 1250,1260 the 1250 is rated at 317gph at 5'7", the 1260 635gph at 12'1" (you can always tune it down). The good silent, reliable. The bad pricey.

Charlie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a big RIO fan but their newly designed HF series pumps do a really good job. I have been running several now for over 2 years without a hitch. Good flow and low wattage. The RIO 12HF will give you 630 GPH @4 ft and only 40 watts. 10HF= 360 gph @ 4 ft / 35 watts. They run pretty quiet and a lot less heat than a mag.

K

Kentanner11

View Badges
I would let it run for a while, not sure how long you had it running. but it must "slime up". If you give it a month, it shoud improve!

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it run for a while, not sure how long you had it running. but it must "slime up". If you give it a month, it shoud improve!

its several years old actually, but i've taken it apart and see no build up of anything, so no point in running it in vinegar.

maybe i should just buy another prop assembly before buying a whole new pump.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back