What QT Sizem

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I've been running a 65 gallon tank for 6 years and somehow miraculously never had any visible signs of disease. I've never had to medicate and I never had a QT.

I have definitely gotten religion on setting up a QT as I've been doing the research while setting up my new Waterbox 180.5.

At first I thought I would use my 65 gallon as a quarantine tank because I definitely do not want to keep it up as a reef. But I had seen people state that that might be too large for QT. Mostly because water changes would need to be larger and the larger volume of water would mean more medication.

So then I thought I would just grab a 20 gallon and set it up in the traditional way. But a guy at my lfs said that that would be too small if I was going to get any decent size fish like a tang. He said it would be miserable and die.

Just wondering what the general consensus is on here. I'm getting a little bored just staring at my 7-year-old clown and big purple whatever it is I call Thanos. Would love to start getting some fish to put in this thing. Thanks as always.

OP
OP
thewedge

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20-30 gallons is fine for a QT if we're talking about most small to medium fish.
30 could be a good compromise. And hopefully I could still use one of the stands I have. I've been looking forward to breaking down the 65 and reclaiming the space. A 20 or 30 would fit on the cabinet I have for all my misc parts, chemicals and test kits

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back