What reactor media are you currently running on your reef and why?

Are you currently running a reactor and media on your reef tank?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 192 38.5%
  • NO but I run media from time to time

Votes: 160 32.1%
  • NO I don't use filter media

Votes: 134 26.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 2.6%

• Total voters

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon. But I do not use an reactor. All reactors I tried sucks for running carbon. A filter bag is way easier.

I actually started with an AquaMaxx reactor for carbon. But it has the same problem of Phosban and BRS reactor that, it can't hold the carbon down when only partially filled up. The carbon always pushed up the foam, then leak and got into the sump. Every time of changing media is a mess.

Filter bag is so much easier to work with. The cons is less efficient. But I only change carbon every 2 weeks or longer, but it probably got used up after several days. So having it to work slower, thus last longer, is not a bad thing to have IMO.
I run carbon 24/7/365 for toxins and DOC's. I have for over 30 years. I use a BRS single reactor set up so that the flow is reversed from the "normal" pattern. That is - the water comes down through the carbon, thereby keeping it from moving at all. Not only does it prevent problems like above, it allows for somewhat higher flow through.

I also use GFO if needed, in a tlf 150 with the flow in the usual direction - up through the media so that it tumbles slightly.

Before reactors were a thing, I used a couple canister filters for the same thing. They worked ok, but were a PIA to clean. When reactors became available (my TLF 150 is probably 28 years old? I made the switch and never looked back. Those canisters now get used only rarely, stuffed with pillow stuffing when I'm doing a major cleanup. They run for a few hours and then go back in the box in the basement (clean and dry of course!)

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a biopellet reactor and active carbon. I piped in an optional reactor on the manifold for gfo when and if needed to control phosphate.
0E4B1E41-E5B4-4EE3-98DE-910CEDAE47A7.jpeg

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon 24/7/365 for toxins and DOC's. I have for over 30 years. I use a BRS single reactor set up so that the flow is reversed from the "normal" pattern. That is - the water comes down through the carbon, thereby keeping it from moving at all. Not only does it prevent problems like above, it allows for somewhat higher flow through.

I also use GFO if needed, in a tlf 150 with the flow in the usual direction - up through the media so that it tumbles slightly.

Before reactors were a thing, I used a couple canister filters for the same thing. They worked ok, but were a PIA to clean. When reactors became available (my TLF 150 is probably 28 years old? I made the switch and never looked back. Those canisters now get used only rarely, stuffed with pillow stuffing when I'm doing a major cleanup. They run for a few hours and then go back in the box in the basement (clean and dry of course!)

Running reverse flow has its own problem, it don't naturally purge the air from the reactor. So have to fill the reactor to the brim with saltwater during media change. Tried to run that a couple time, not making it any easier after all said and done.

AJI23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A media reactor is an aquarium filtration device that contains filter media. It helps to increase the effectiveness of the filter media inside by forcing all water that enters the reactor to come in contact with the media. This eliminates the problem of only exposing your aquarium water to a portion of the filter media—which is what happens when media is placed inside a media bag. - Marine Depot

1. What reactor media are you currently running on your reef?

2. Why are you running this type of reactor media on your reef?

image via Marine Depot
Media-Reactor-Small-1.jpg
A media reactor is an aquarium filtration device that contains filter media. It helps to increase the effectiveness of the filter media inside by forcing all water that enters the reactor to come in contact with the media. This eliminates the problem of only exposing your aquarium water to a portion of the filter media—which is what happens when media is placed inside a media bag. - Marine Depot

1. What reactor media are you currently running on your reef?

2. Why are you running this type of reactor media on your reef?

image via Marine Depot
Media-Reactor-Small-1.jpg
I run GFO in a single reactor and another single reactor for carbon. I don’t run them together because of the weight of the media isint equal. Need more flow to tumble the GFO and less for the carbon.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running reverse flow has its own problem, it don't naturally purge the air from the reactor. So have to fill the reactor to the brim with saltwater during media change. Tried to run that a couple time, not making it any easier after all said and done.
Why would that matter? My DI canisters don’t fill up all the way, and they work fine.

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO and Carbon. Also CO2 scrubber, which is the same thing, just with air instead of water.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id love to have room for a reactor but with my first tank here being an AIO Nano there's just no room so Im stuck with Carbon in a mesh bag. I'd like to get at least GFO and Carbon in a reactor or two.

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my WB 190.5, I have several reactors running. Since I don't have the space in my apartment to do 30 to 40gal water changes I don't do any WC at all, I have a heavy bioload and they require heavy feeding. To keep up I just replace the salt that the Skimmer pull out as needed to keep the salinity in check, replace evaporated water, 2 part dosing, trace elements dose as needed, Phytoplankton, and few other additives as needed.

I run...
  1. - Phosban 150 Reactor with carbon (Rox 0.8) 24/7 for toxins and impurities removal.
  2. - ViaAqua Polyreactor with GFO to help control the phosphate. (recently installed)
  3. - Accel Aquatic FR-45 Biopelets Reactor for nitrates control. (recently installed)
  4. - Ozone Ozonizer 50mg for water clarity.
  5. - Coralife Turbo Twist x6 UV sterilizer for pathogens and algae control.
  6. - DIY Co2 Scrubber double chamber Reactor to help with PH but, since is not keeping up enough for the concentration of Co2 in the apartment. I got an IceCap KM-150 Kalkwasser Mixing Reactor (recently added, still tuning) to help balance the PH and minimize fluctuations.
I hope with all this new improvement this new year I could successfully start collecting SPS with aceptable water parameters, since I have a heavy bioload, restricted storage space for a water changes station and after few years trying to find the sweet spot I got to rely on reactors and dosing to achieve my goal.
20200610_192327.jpg

Last edited:

coral408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Ca Rx to feed the corals with Ca and Kh.
Co2 scrubber is still hooked to the system but the media hasn’t been changed for almost 10 months due to the stable level of Ph ~ 8.0- 8.25.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run an AquaMaxx reactor for tumbling GFO.

Use to run the AquaMaxx BioMaxx XL Biopellet reactor to swirl Purigen

1104171746.jpg

GEO 2 stage cal reactor for calcium and alk.

Last edited:
Back