What reactor media are you currently running on your reef and why?

Are you currently running a reactor and media on your reef tank?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 192 38.5%
  • NO but I run media from time to time

Votes: 160 32.1%
  • NO I don't use filter media

Votes: 134 26.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 2.6%

• Total voters

Bwils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run biopellets in a reactor and I run a filter cup (I hate socks) with matrix on the bottom, carbon in a filter bag and filter floss above that. change the carbon every other week.

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer pouring into foam, carbon & chemi pure elite and a bio-bag. All in my 13.5G EVO.

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my currently running set up I am running a single reactor that I always has carbon in it, and as needed I will put phosban in it.

On my 144 that is currently being assembled I have a BRS dual reactor that will be the same as the 60 cube. Carbon 100% of the time and phosban as needed.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my currently running set up I am running a single reactor that I always has carbon in it, and as needed I will put phosban in it.

On my 144 that is currently being assembled I have a BRS dual reactor that will be the same as the 60 cube. Carbon 100% of the time and phosban as needed.
I find that using something like Chemipure and/or Purigen to be more effective than carbon

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just carbon in a baggy. No mechanical filtration aside from a skimmer if you want to count that. I still deal with low nutrient issues lol

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too use only poly filter in a hang-on-back filter. I replace it every few days as it gets soiled. Occasionally, I will place a pouch of Seachem Purigen into the filter after the floss.
Just Polyfilter...I have rowaphos and carbon on standby just in case but never have to resort to it, the polyfilter, live rock, water changes and a daily addition of live Phytoplankton keeps my reef sweet...I like to keep it simple

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just Polyfilter...I have rowaphos and carbon on standby just in case but never have to resort to it, the polyfilter, live rock, water changes and a daily addition of live Phytoplankton keeps my reef sweet...I like to keep it simple

polyfilter3.jpg

How do you run this in your tank? Love your simplicity approach.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you run this in your tank? Love your simplicity approach.
Previously I ran it in a seachem tidal 35 HOB filter, I changed my tank a few months back to an all in one so just run a piece in the rear section and change it out every couple of weeks, considering I feed my tank quite heavily directly and in the water column because I keep dusters, Christmas tree worms, Corckscrew corals, LPS etc it keeps the water sweet...I could probably go longer between changing it out as well to allow my phos and nitrate to raise a bit but prefer to keep on top of it

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Previously I ran it in a seachem tidal 35 HOB filter, I changed my tank a few months back to an all in one so just run a piece in the rear section and change it out every couple of weeks, considering I feed my tank quite heavily directly and in the water column because I keep dusters, Christmas tree worms, Corckscrew corals, LPS etc it keeps the water sweet...I could probably go longer between changing it out as well to allow my phos and nitrate to raise a bit but prefer to keep on top of it

I have heard it is great for removing metals and such but didn’t know it can reduce nitrate and phosphate. I ordered some and sill probably put between a baffle in my sump.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard it is great for removing metals and such but didn’t know it can reduce nitrate and phosphate. I ordered some and sill probably put between a baffle in my sump.
It's great for absorbing disolved organics and even elevated ammonia so that in turn keeps the nitrate down, and I like that it reduces phosphate but not to zero so doesnt starve your corals of it, I read once that it was originally designed for kidney dialysis before it was used for aquatic purposes,

Just makes things so simple for me no skimmer to empty or clean or multiple media's to change just cut a piece and pop it in :cool:

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO (NYOS Phosi-EX) to keep phosphates within reason and BRS carbon (ROX 0.8) for water clarity, Both mixed in a BRS reactor.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back