What return pump(s) should I be looking at for my new tank?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a proponent of the L2 for your setup.

It definitely checks all the boxes for a "equipment nerd", and provides all the bells and whistles. The one thing that drew me to the Vectra is the option for battery backup. My area doesn't get many power outages, but when we do, I can rest assured that the ETM pumps are still circulating the water.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am feeling like I am the only one that doesn't slow the flow durring feeding. Where did this concept even come from? Go DC if you want constant nuances. Go AC if you want reliability. Last time I checked the ocean did not slow down for dinner.
Got tired of watching dry food go down the overflow, which is why I did it. I figured constant power cycling will prolly fry the DC return pump controller (Murphy's law says it will be while I'm traveling for work) so I stopped, but I also changed what I fed to the "fast sinking" pellet variety.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got tired of watching dry food go down the overflow, which is why I did it. I figured constant power cycling will prolly fry the DC return pump controller (Murphy's law says it will be while I'm traveling for work) so I stopped, but I also changed what I fed to the "fast sinking" pellet variety.
I feed into the return chamber and let the pump shoot the food out of the return nozzles. That way all of the food is already in the water column. A feeding ring helps do the same thing too but I think they are ugly.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed into the return chamber and let the pump shoot the food out of the return nozzles. That way all of the food is already in the water column. A feeding ring helps do the same thing too but I think they are ugly.
I never turn off pumps either but I do always soak flakes and stuff in tank water and pour it in (in front of a pump) that way it doesn’t float on the surface and pumps swirl it around the tank so everyone gets a share.

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Maxspect Turbine Duo 12k (12000lph). Sturdy pump, small footprint. Gives you flexibility of running open or closed loop. Single inlet single output , dual inlet single output and other various other options.

And if you go with their latest gyres(xf 330 or 350) then you can control all of them thru ICV6 controller and app.

Thanks

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no love towards the feeding ring. I have one and it hasn't ever been worth my time. Even bought a nice IM branded one, still hate it, lol.

Now the feeding to the return chamber, I figure it would be hell for the pump and/or the impeller.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no love towards the feeding ring. I have one and it hasn't ever been worth my time. Even bought a nice IM branded one, still hate it, lol.

Now the feeding to the return chamber, I figure it would be hell for the pump and/or the impeller.
Feeding rings are great if your on vacation.
I feed flake or pellets and they stay in the ring until they sink.

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, feeding rings are useful when an auto fish feeder is used. helps to keep the food in one place and eventually sink.

Thanks

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding rings are great if your on vacation.
I feed flake or pellets and they stay in the ring until they sink.
Meh, never worked. I use a auto feeder for the 100+ days a year I travel for work. The fish got used to the 'dinner bell', aka the noisy turd of a feeder spinning.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your favorite return pumps? Which one(s) would you recommend for a 225g reef?
I like my sicce sdc 9.0
Pricey, but it tells me when there is a power outage. The new ones have temp monitor. (mine is older, doesn't have it) they can also be controlled with apex if you have one.
Is a very powerful pump.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm still thinking this one over. I'm pretty torn between a few different options. However, lately I'm wondering if the Fluval SP6 that I have sitting on a shelf (still NIB) might be worth giving a shot. It's rated at 3,434 GPH. Here's their breakdown on head pressure:

1669675270079.png

Thoughts? Would this do the trick?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My other idea was to pull the trigger on a Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0 and save the Fluval as a backup pump. Thoughts?

Btw, I was originally planning to go with 2 return pumps for redundancy, but I don't think (with all the other equipment going into this build) that I'm going to be able to pull that off.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm still thinking this one over. I'm pretty torn between a few different options. However, lately I'm wondering if the Fluval SP6 that I have sitting on a shelf (still NIB) might be worth giving a shot. It's rated at 3,434 GPH. Here's their breakdown on head pressure:

Thoughts? Would this do the trick?
Back about 9-10 years ago when I was researching pumps for a closed loop on my 240, the Fluval Sp6 was one of them I was considering. But unfortunately I had history with some of the Reeflo ( not all bad) and decided to go with a Dart/Snapper.
I wish I had gone with the Fluval. Everybody said the Fluval was quiet and dependable.
But then most said the Dart/Snapper was quiet too. It lasted only for 8 months before I jumped on the DC band wagon and have been very happy ever since.
I have wondered several times since what would have happened if I had given it a try. Probably have more money in my pocket.
IMO you would have to valve it down alot for a 225 gallon tank, unless you have other designs for a it being just a return pump.

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef octopus vario pumps. They are amazing. Completely silent, we’ll built and reliable.

however the best decision I ever made was splitting my return pump into two lines and running two smaller pumps instead of one bigger one. If one ever dies the tank will keep going for weeks while I replace one. If one gets clogged and slows down I only lose a small amount of flow. Total peace of mind and no single point of failure. I do the same with heaters.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other idea was to pull the trigger on a Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0 and save the Fluval as a backup pump. Thoughts?

Btw, I was originally planning to go with 2 return pumps for redundancy, but I don't think (with all the other equipment going into this build) that I'm going to be able to pull that off.
I have the Sicce SDC 9.0 and I absolutely love it. Some people say the wifi controllability is a gimmick, but honestly I find it very useful. I'm not sure of your setup, but I have a basement sump and the pump has ran flawlessly over the last year that I've owned it. I would HIGHLY recommend the Sicce pump.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back