What salt do you use and how to change

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using h2ocean pro mix on my tank since I started it on recommendation by my LFS, I was a complete newby then and went off of what they said. Now I have been doing this a little while I am looking at changing salt as the h2oceans alk mixes alot higher than I would like, I try to keep it around 9 dkh but the salt mixes to a minimum of 9.3.
I am looking at changing to Fritz rpm as it's claimed levels look alot closer to where I try to run my tank, does anyone who uses Fritz have an opinion on it And anything that I should be aware of when changing salts other than avoiding large swings.
Also curious as to what salts everyone is using?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using tropic Marin. I never changed salt in between but I read that you can introduce the change gradually.

IamJoHo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have changed salts a couple times. Most recently I i upgraded to a larger tank and decided I wanted to switch from ESV salt to Red Sea Coral Pro. I did 3 30% water changes over 3 days then all new water in the new tank on day 4. No issues. I have also switched by doing normal water changes and just switching salts. Although I'm not sure if changing salts to get a 0.3 dkh change. I switch because I was going from a 9dkh salt to a 12dkh salt mix.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have changed salts a couple times. Most recently I i upgraded to a larger tank and decided I wanted to switch from ESV salt to Red Sea Coral Pro. I did 3 30% water changes over 3 days then all new water in the new tank on day 4. No issues. I have also switched by doing normal water changes and just switching salts. Although I'm not sure if changing salts to get a 0.3 dkh change. I switch because I was going from a 9dkh salt to a 12dkh salt mix.
I'm not just switching because of a .3dkh change, the salt mixes everything higher than I would like. Also 9.3 is the minimum it mixes I have had multiple buckets that have mixed at 11+ dkh even though it claims not to go that high. I would sooner have a salt that mixes lower values that I can control with dosing rather than be stuck with new water that is 2/3 dkh higher than the tank

IamJoHo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a big swing. Yeah I would want something more consistent. Not sure how large your tank is or how much you want to spend. But ESV is extremely consistent at least in my experience.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just switched over to tropic marine at the moment and I’ve been changing out 5 gallons every 4-5 days to adjust gradually

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a big swing. Yeah I would want something more consistent. Not sure how large your tank is or how much you want to spend. But ESV is extremely consistent at least in my experience.
Never heard of ESV before price isn't a big ussue, I dont mind spending more if the product reflects the price, my tank is only 30 gallons

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of ESV before price isn't a big ussue, I dont mind spending more if the product reflects the price, my tank is only 30 gallons
Not sure what corals you plan on having but tropic marine your Alk is set at 7 with that salt never had a salt mix like this before so fast! It’s a little more expensive but worth it in my opinion I have some sps and just dose kalk to keep Alk around 7.5-8

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what corals you plan on having but tropic marine your Alk is set at 7 with that salt never had a salt mix like this before so fast! It’s a little more expensive but worth it in my opinion I have some sps and just dose kalk to keep Alk around 7.5-8
My tank is already setup which is why I am being cautious about changing but the current salt is too inconsistent to pay for another bucket. I have a mixed reef mostly lps but some sps and some soft corals. Can I ask what levels you get for magnesium, calcium and ph with tropic marin, it was one of the other salts I was looking at.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is already setup which is why I am being cautious about changing but the current salt is too inconsistent to pay for another bucket. I have a mixed reef mostly lps but some sps and some soft corals. Can I ask what levels you get for magnesium, calcium and ph with tropic marin, it was one of the other salts I was looking at.
Ph seems to stay around 8-8.1
Alk 7
Calcium 420-430
Magnesium not sure don’t really test for this.
I love the salt so far always super consistent and mixes so well!

Last edited:
OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph seems to stay around 8-8.1
Alk 7
Calcium 420-430
Magnesium not sure don’t really test for this.
I live the salt so far always super consistent and mixes so well!
Thanks I think you might have convinced me to go for tropic marine instead of fritz

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also look into HW Marine reefer mix. It mixes to 8.7 Alk, 430-440 Cal, and 1380 Mag. Its also only 68 bucks for a 160 gal box. The only problem I personally have with it is that you can only get in from BRS. Nothing against BRS as that is where I get most of my stuff, its just the lack of being able to get it somewhere else if needed.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also look into HW Marine reefer mix. It mixes to 8.7 Alk, 430-440 Cal, and 1380 Mag. Its also only 68 bucks for a 160 gal box. The only problem I personally have with it is that you can only get in from BRS. Nothing against BRS as that is where I get most of my stuff, its just the lack of being able to get it somewhere else if needed.
I'd love to be able to look at that but I'm in the uk so I wouldn't be able to get that, I can get tropic Marin or Fritz here

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I believe HW Marine is a German brand salt. I would think it would be easier for you to get it in the UK than me in the US.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have to ever change from HW Marine, I would go with Tropic Marin, so either way you can't go wrong. Its the price that keeps me from switching.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have to ever change from HW Marine, I would go with Tropic Marin, so either way you can't go wrong. Its the price that keeps me from switching.
Thanks for the advice. Tropic Marin is only about £5 more than I pay now for a large bucket so the price isn't an issue. It looks like im going with tropic marin

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Tropic Marin is only about £5 more than I pay now for a large bucket so the price isn't an issue. It looks like im going with tropic marin
It is a great choice, I fell you can't go wrong.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back