what salt mix is best for sps?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Blue Bucket and Tropic Marin Standard (and pro) would be good choices for lower alk salts.

I've used both and have been happy with both. I find some batches need minor supplementing for Mg and Ca.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular instant ocean, dose calcium into newly made water and away you go

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested a batch of IO mixing overnight mixed to 1.025s.g.

10.2 alk
350 calcium
1240 Magnesium

I don't really use Magnesium in my 2 part (never tested it below 1400). This particular batch is for my biocube which has LPS in the tank. Added 82ml of Calcium 2part, to raise to 430 ppm and will be adding the magnesium part in a bit once it settles to raise to 1350.

I think that's about all that I need to do right @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested a batch of IO mixing overnight mixed to 1.025s.g.

10.2 alk
350 calcium
1240 Magnesium

I don't really use Magnesium in my 2 part (never tested it below 1400). This particular batch is for my biocube which has LPS in the tank. Added 82ml of Calcium 2part, to raise to 430 ppm and will be adding the magnesium part in a bit once it settles to raise to 1350.

I think that's about all that I need to do right @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

That's a fine plan.

IO is a low calcium mix, so in general, folks may want to boost it or use a method that adds slightly more calcium than alkalinity (or both).

Raising the salinity to 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264) would have boosted the magnesium to 1310 ppm. :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matching alk should not be a huge reason to buy a salt. I would look for consistency first.

Alk can easily be lowered in the mixing container by using Muratic Acid. Muratic needs to be handled well, but it is not death in a bottle or anything and they sell it at home depot and lowes. Gallons of Water * desired dKh drop * .123 is the amount of Muratic Acid to use.

FWIW - I have used regular IO for years and years. I wanted into some others for small periods of time, but always came back.

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean, I never add anything to it. Alk 8.9, Mag 1350, Cal 435.
Heres some pics of my sps:
IMG_2073.jpg
IMG_2074.jpg
IMG_2076.jpg
IMG_2077.jpg
IMG_2078.jpg
IMG_2080.jpg
IMG_2079.jpg

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matching alk should not be a huge reason to buy a salt. I would look for consistency first.

Alk can easily be lowered in the mixing container by using Muratic Acid. Muratic needs to be handled well, but it is not death in a bottle or anything and they sell it at home depot and lowes. Gallons of Water * desired dKh drop * .123 is the amount of Muratic Acid to use.

FWIW - I have used regular IO for years and years. I wanted into some others for small periods of time, but always came back.
Same, I have an emergency bucket of Red Sea blue bucket if I need to do a huge water change and not change Alk, but I always come back to IO as my weekly WC salt. Does just fine for me and always easy to find super cheap deals on.

Ryan Doolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used cheap Salt (Instant Oceans) and expensive Salt to grow acros, never had issues with any of them.

I worry more about Salt being consistent bucket to bucket then top up what I need. So far Red Sea blue bucket has been my favorite. I am using the Brightwell now and have done 3 or 4 water changes with it. So far it seems like a good Salt, not sure if its worth the extra 50% in price over the Red Sea Blue Bucket.

Back