What Salt Mix should I use?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using TM Pro for a number of reasons (easy to mix, stays 'clean', consistency throughout the bucket, etc). But keep in mind that Alk is low (around 6.6 dkH) and Mg and Ca are a bit high. The salt is intended to be used with a Ca reactor, but I just does Alk to bring it to my target of 8.5 dKH. I may switch back to TM Classic as it mixes closer to what I like.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the biggest thing that keeps me from using reef crystals.

1603410629623.jpeg

Photo credit: Bulk Reef Supply

It is the least clean mixing salt of the popular brands.

Why do you consider the brown residue a concern? I've really never understood the desire that so many people have for a "clean" mix. The presence or absence of a precipitate says nothing about the suitability of the water.

I also do not like Reef Crystals, but that's because I do not want organic matter such as vitamins in the salt mix. It might even be the brown stuff, but the actual presence of some undissolved matter is of no concern to me.

I prefer normal IO, but most salt mixes are fine as long as you understand their pros and cons.

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you consider the brown residue a concern? I've really never understood the desire that so many people have for a "clean" mix. The presence or absence of a precipitate says nothing about the suitability of the water.

I also do not like Reef Crystals, but that's because I do not want organic matter such as vitamins in the salt mix. It might even be the brown stuff, but the actual presence of some undissolved matter is of no concern to me.

I prefer normal IO, but most salt mixes are fine as long as you understand their pros and cons.

Is the brown residue just precipitate and vitamins? If it is then that would probably change my opinion. I have not done any of these tests myself so I am just going off of things that I have read or heard.

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I started with Reef Crystals and it most certainly worked well for me. The reason for the change is probably mostly because I consider myself a “lazy” reefer. Not that I won’t put in the effort to keep my system healthy but if there is somewhere I can make a change that will mean less work for me, I will. I would prefer to maintain my pumps and mixing containers less if possible. I found that switching to a cleaner mix did this for me.

I, by no means, am an expert or as well versed in the hobby as many on here such as yourself (big fan of all the work you put in here! :)). I hope I am not discouraging anyone from choosing a salt that works for them. Reef Crystals may very well be it! I just wanted to voice my opinion on the matter in hopes to give some guidance along the way.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Crystals, it stinks for mixing and leaves brown crud but CHEAP ...and a bucket really only makes like 130 sumthin gals
OR
I also like Live Aquaria brand...mixes fast and clean, nice params....It acts a lot like Fritz to me tho

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200929_123122.jpg

I found this chart from the BRS salt video posted above incredibly helpful. I made the switch to TMP after realizing it's really not much more expensive than the others. For a 100G tank, it's less than $70 a year more than cheap IO.
These prices are off, Amazon or even my LFS sells IO and RC for typically half this. I often pay less than $28 for a bucket of IO.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back