What sanitizes tank after Marine Velvet/Brook?

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a couple questions regarding how to effectively sterilize a tank after a possible brook/marine velvet outbreak. Ive tried looking everywhere but can't seem to get a definitive answer from someone who actually KNOWS what they are talking about.

So after about a month of having the tank cycled I started to slowly introduce fish to my system. About two weeks ago fish started to die off for an unconfirmed reason. It appeared to be ick initially but then fish started to die very rapidly, to quick in my mind to Just be ick, possibly ick and Marine velvet or ich and Brook. So I pulled all the surviving fish out of the system and transferred to Qt and treating with Cupramine @ 0.5 which appears to have saved the few remaining fish. My question is can marine velvet and/or Brooklynella (since I dont really know what it was) survive in my display 1. If its completely dried out for say 72 hours ? 2. Can it survive if I go back with 100% RO/DI water and run the tank for 72 hours?

P.S. Ive Learned my lesson and now ALL new fish will be QT'd and Given a 30 Cupramine Treatment.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3d71d38cf806f911991c22db5c8797fb.jpg

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your rock completely dry, your are going to have to start over completely, wipe tank/ equipment down with bleach or vinegar and let dry for 48 hrs

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. Fallow is not needed for 76 days if you dry everything

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. Fallow is not needed for 76 days if you dry everything
If you toss sand/rock and are able to ensure that everything is completely dry (around seals, in plumbing, etc) then yes I do agree. How long that will take is a matter for debate 72 hours may not do it IMO.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you toss sand/rock and are able to ensure that everything is completely dry (around seals, in plumbing, etc) then yes I do agree. How long that will take is a matter for debate 72 hours may not do it IMO.
Then this brings into question our previously accepted TTM practice which says minimum 24 hours dry time. I’m getting confused again

OP
OP
Chris155hp

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what if I dried out for 1 week and pure RODI running threw Tank for 1 week? He Tank is currently dry (only the moisture in the sand remains) I plan on vacuuming all the sand out and spreading it out on a tarp in the Florida sun for a few hours to get 100% dry.

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t comment on that. I’ve always used 72 hours dry after velvet.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then this brings into question our previously accepted TTM practice which says minimum 24 hours dry time. I’m getting confused again
Not really. It is much easier to tip over a bucket or 10 gallon tank and wipe down than a big display that has fittings and (potentially) horizontal runs of PVC that can harbor water more effectively. Every case/tank is probably different. If you were to dismantle everything and let it dry then this could be a lot quicker. We are in total agreement I just would give it more time than 72 hours if it were my display.

OP
OP
Chris155hp

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting new rock and sand because rock will take for ever to dry completely.
absolutely not! It’s all brand new custom rock and sand. I’ll bleach the whole tank befor I get new rock or sand. Just trying to avoid using bleach. Hence drying out the best I could then going with 100% RO DI for a week. Wondering if the cycts can survive in RODI or do they burst from osmotic pressure?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutely not! It’s all brand new custom rock and sand. I’ll bleach the whole tank befor I get new rock or sand. Just trying to avoid using bleach. Hence drying out the best I could then going with 100% RO DI for a week. Wondering if the cycts can survive in RODI or do they burst from osmotic pressure?
I'm not sure if there have been any studies done on RODI water specifically or other low TDS water so it may be difficult for anyone to comment. I would tend to guess that they wouldn't fair well but it's nothing more than a guess. I think effective drying or fallow period are your best bets. Good luck!

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about that but it seems the time it takes to completely dry then refill and complete the cycle you probably would have been ahead to just run fallow for 76 days and have the piece of mind knowing your tank is parasite free.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back