What sanitizes tank after Marine Velvet/Brook?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have already broken everything down.....

For the tank/equipment:
  1. Wipe the tank and all equipment down using a 10:1 water:bleach solution.
  2. Allow everything to dry thoroughly for at least 72 hours. Running a fan will expedite the drying process.
For the sand/rock:
  1. Ditch the sand, it's not worth trying to sterilize.
  2. The rock needs to be soaked in a 10:1 water:bleach solution for at least 24 hrs.
  3. Afterwards, take all the rock out and rinse it off using a garden hose.
  4. Finally, soak the rock again using RODI and a dechlorinator (e.g. Prime, Amquel) to remove any excess chlorine/chloramine that leaches out.
  5. Let the rock air dry for 72 hrs and it's good to go. Even if it still has a "bleachy" smell to it, that's just the leftover salt from the chlorine.

OP
OP
Chris155hp

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have already broken everything down.....

For the tank/equipment:
  1. Wipe the tank and all equipment down using a 10:1 water:bleach solution.
  2. Allow everything to dry thoroughly for at least 72 hours. Running a fan will expedite the drying process.
For the sand/rock:
  1. Ditch the sand, it's not worth trying to sterilize.
  2. The rock needs to be soaked in a 10:1 water:bleach solution for at least 24 hrs.
  3. Afterwards, take all the rock out and rinse it off using a garden hose.
  4. Finally, soak the rock again using RODI and a dechlorinator (e.g. Prime, Amquel) to remove any excess chlorine/chloramine that leaches out.
  5. Let the rock air dry for 72 hrs and it's good to go. Even if it still has a "bleachy" smell to it, that's just the leftover salt from the chlorine.

Thanks for the info. That’s what I’m going to do but just curious can MV survive 100% RO/DI day 2-3 days? Should osmotic pressure destroy it? 2 how long can marine velvet survive dry? 3 what is the actual fallow period of MV 6 weeks or 76 days as I get different answers thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. That’s what I’m going to do but just curious can MV survive 100% RO/DI day 2-3 days? Should osmotic pressure destroy it? 2 how long can marine velvet survive dry? 3 what is the actual fallow period of MV 6 weeks or 76 days as I get different answers thanks

In one study (below), velvet trophonts survived for a time in full freshwater:

untitled-png.539817

Source: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3282348?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

kesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had velvet and brook before. Reused everything except sand. Washed all with just running tap water thoroughly. Left to air dry under sun and indoor about two weeks. Re-started, everything is fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back