What separates aquarists with thriving tanks vs those that are falling apart?

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank switched from on the edge of failing to stable with some coral growth (probably heading for successful) after almost 2 years. I think the secret was the moth that drowned in my dosing container that wasn't discovered for I don't know how long.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perseverance. Many tanks that are amazing didn't get their without their fair share of problems but the person didn't throw in the towel. This hobby wax and wanes sometimes gobbles up new people.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A successful reef tank requires a certain level of commitment, both in time and money. From what I've see, many dive in to this hobby as a fad, or on a whim, and then find out that a beautiful, thriving reef tank is not an instant creation, doesn't magically maintain itself and many find they spend more than they thought they would have to (especially if you don't know what you need vs. what the industry and peeps try to tell you that you need).

Those who do the research beforehand and have a realistic idea of what they are getting into have the best chance of becoming long-term successful reef keepers.

I do find it funny how this thread turned into one full of tank pics :D

12g FTS 10th Year Aug 2018.jpg

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only been in the hobby for a little over a year now, and at this point my advice would be:

1. Be patient and make changes slooooowwwwly. Any change - adding supplements, adding fish, adding corals.
2. Do your research, then do some more. Spend time on the forums.
3. Try to understand water chemistry.
4. Test your water regularly and maintain a journal.
5. Buy the best equipment you can afford, even if that means having to defer the livestock purchases.
6. Stability. Additional equipment such as ATO units and dosing pumps will help with this.
7. The amount of time you take to maintain your tank will reduce as it matures. Additional investment in the right technology will also reduce this.

I spent a couple of hundred hours on the forums before I bought and setup my tank and many, many hundreds of hours ever since reading more and learning about my tank. We all make mistakes, but research is what ensures we learn from them and don’t simply repeat them.

It’s nowhere near as beautiful as some of the other tanks posted (yet!) but here is my effort so far.

1a825a6a6f278a6392f5c219d266a52d.jpg

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I've been in the hobby for almost two years and I have definitely been through a lot of ups and downs. My advice with my little experience is to work towards getting your tank to what you want it to be and not trying to recreate anyone elses tank. What may look good to me may be ugly to someone else. Some tanks backgrounds are spotless while mine is covered in Coraline algea. Getting Coraline to thrive was a great achievement in my eyes and I love seeing it everywhere. To me, I want my tank to recreate what I see when I go snorkeling and a more natural looking tank, not so pristine, gives me that. Just do what makes you happy because if it makes you feel happy when you look at your tank, you are much more likely to be in the hobby long term!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back