What SG should I expect a fish from WI to arrive in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to do a WC on my QT tonight, for a shipment that should hopefully arrive tomorrow (no shipping notice yet) and I'm wondering what I should put my salinity at. Ballpark is fine!

ETA: Sorry, I was confused. Fish are coming from CA, not WI. Not from Diver's Den.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Best would be to maintain your tank where it is at now.
Test the salinity in the bag OR ask Shipper what salinity his/her tank is at and you can adjust according before arrival. However, I would keep your tank where it is and acclimate the fish to the tank settings. I typically do the following:
-Float bag for 20-30 mins.
-Empty the bag/water/fish into a clean pail dedicated just for your tank
-Add an 8-12ox cup of tank water to pail every 15 mins 6-8X (over 2 hr span)
-Catch fish in same pail into that cup, NOT NET and release into tank

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best would be to maintain your tank where it is at now.
Test the salinity in the bag OR ask Shipper what salinity his/her tank is at and you can adjust according before arrival. However, I would keep your tank where it is and acclimate the fish to the tank settings. I typically do the following:
-Float bag for 20-30 mins.
-Empty the bag/water/fish into a clean pail dedicated just for your tank
-Add an 8-12ox cup of tank water to pail every 15 mins 6-8X (over 2 hr span)
-Catch fish in same pail into that cup, NOT NET and release into tank
Well, considering my QT has been empty for months and doesn't have auto top off, I'm guessing it's super high right now LOL. Most people recommend changing your QT to match the shipping water to reduce stress on the fish and get them out of shipping water ASAP. That's why I posted in the LA forum as their website chat wasn't available.

I generally drip acclimate for 1 to 2 hrs (depending on water difference) while they're floating in my tank with this cheapie device I bought off amazon that works fairly well.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA orders come in around 1.016-1.019. I keep my tank around 1.017 about 3/4 full. When they come in I float and take the salinity. Match it with RODI or salt and dump them in.

I have asked them what sg the fish would be coming in and they are always incorrect haha.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA orders come in around 1.016-1.019. I keep my tank around 1.017 about 3/4 full. When they come in I float and take the salinity. Match it with RODI or salt and dump them in.

I have asked them what sg the fish would be coming in and they are always incorrect haha.
Ha, good to know! I figured they would come in low but would have guessed closer to 1.020. I haven't gotten fish from them since last fall and couldn't remember.

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hllb Thank you for your recent order. The salinity of the water for fish shipped from CA is between 1.018 and 1.020. Have a great evening!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of mine have come in fairly low like described above. When my fish come it, I float them for a short period (5-10 minutes) and then release them into a 5g bucket (I have tons from buying salt). I'll then double the amount of water that they showed up with. I'll let that go 10 minutes and then repeat the process until I reach the salinity of the tank they're going in. I'm pulling water from a 150g system with a dedicated 55g mixing station so I have plenty of water to work with before I mess up the salinity in the tank they're going to. This may or may not be an option for others. Since yours are going into a quarantine, I'd start around 1.018 and acclimate the fish vs changing the salinity of the QT unless it needs to be lowered.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hllb Thank you for your recent order. The salinity of the water for fish shipped from CA is between 1.018 and 1.020. Have a great evening!
Got my shipping notice so everyone is set to arrive tomorrow. I'm expecting a McCosker like the one in your avatar (well, sub-adult male). QT tank is up and running and heating up the fresh water. Algae in the main tank just waiting for that urchin LOL.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the McCosker's :) I have a Carpenter's as well (the additional dorsal filaments are impressive).

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those wondering, the shipment arrived today and the water for the fish was 1.020. I think the urchin may be dead, but waiting to see (it lost half it's spines, isn't moving, but doesn't smell yet, so I'm giving it time). The wrasse is super stressed but hanging in QT. The hermits were all good.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back