What should I add to dirty up the tank.

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to add something to my own top tank to get the nitrates and phosphates up. The tank is 55 gallons. I have a lawnmower blenny, pair of clowns, mandarin and a few other tiny fish. I was thinking of adding something not photosynthetic like dendros. Any other ideas? I'm already dosing phosphates directly.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fastest way to increase nitrates and phosphates would be to continue dosing them directly. Turning off the skimmer would also help increase nutrients. Increased feeding...especially some Reef Roids or BRS Reef Chili will increase nutrients real quicly!

OP
OP
S

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fastest way to increase nitrates and phosphates would be to continue dosing them directly. Turning off the skimmer would also help increase nutrients. Increased feeding...especially some Reef Roids or BRS Reef Chili will increase nutrients real quicly!
I've taken out the skimmer completely. The only export is Chaeto, and I've turned down the lights over it, down to 7 hours now and low intensity. I do Reef Roids every once in a while. Looking for something more natural than dosing/feeding more.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've taken out the skimmer completely. The only export is Chaeto, and I've turned down the lights over it, down to 7 hours now and low intensity. I do Reef Roids every once in a while. Looking for something more natural than dosing/feeding more.
Shut the light off over the chaeto completely...it's used for export and you definitely don't need an export mechanism at this time.

If you want natural, add fish...they will give off way more nutrients into the system than coral.

OP
OP
S

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shut the light off over the chaeto completely...it's used for export and you definitely don't need an export mechanism at this time.

If you want natural, add fish...they will give off way more nutrients into the system than coral.

The problem with adding fish is the open top nature of the tank.

If I turn off the lights over the Chaeto, it'll die, which I do not want.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! You don’t need chaeto anymore (Or less light on it) more food!

... your fuge becomes another spot for coral!!

OP
OP
S

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! You don’t need chaeto anymore (Or less light on it) more food!

... your fuge becomes another spot for coral!!

Now that is an interesting idea. If I could take half the Chaeto out and throw in some frags for growing out.

Will something like a coco worm or a clam add nitrates/phosphates?

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams are filter feeders and I believe will actually help with phos/nitrates. But stopping/slowing the chaeto production may actually get you where you want to be. It’s a balance so If you remove an export and add “imports” you may go too far the opposite way.

Back