what should I do? (Cycling)

Code7500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will upset the purists, but I went with Mr. Saltwater tanks fish in cycle as its worked for me in the past. Tank has been up about 2.5 weeks 60Lbs fiji pink arag alive and 8oz Dr tims one and only, 2 clowns. 130 total gallons in the tank.

Expected a quick cycle, but I've seen no progress. Ammonia went up to about .50 ppm 0 nitrite or nitrate after a week, got worried and did a water change. Testing water daily got worried and added another 8oz dr tims thinking the first may have been bad. Today the exact same numbers .50,0,0. Thinking about another water change. Not sure what to do between the livesand and 2 doses of a bottle im lost.

Using API's marine kit (I know, I know) and a Salifert ammonia kit that I can barely read, the Sali shows maybe .25ppm. Any ideas?

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.5 weeks seems like a high expectation to have the tank fully cycled. I know some have done it fast but I know some have taken a lot longer than that. Could it be that’s it’s still just doing it’s thing? Was the rock dry or live?

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Tim made some amazing stuff when he was at instant ocean. Go out and get some Biospira. Unfortunately, everyone I have talked to, or almost everyone, has concurred that One and Only is not very good. I have cycled tanks with Biospira in a matter of days.
Ditch the One and Only

OP
OP
C

Code7500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll grab some Biospira.

BRS dry rock. And no, Not looking for it to be fully cycled, looking for any sign of the cycle. thanks

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont buy a thing, you are cycled, what’s the date instructions says dr tims bacteria requires

you met that date

specifically stopping a respond purchase to a false stuck cycle is a subject of a seven page thread we keep in the chemistry forum. This tank applies 100%

your ammonia reading isn’t a calibrated seneye, we get that same level you listed on full running reefs all the time, routinely.

your fish were never harmed, thats what theyre fine every day acting normal while only non seneye causes alarm.

OP
OP
C

Code7500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont buy a thing, you are cycled, what’s the date instructions says dr tims bacteria requires

you met that date

specifically stopping a respond purchase to a false stuck cycle is a subject of a seven page thread we keep in the chemistry forum. This tank applies 100%
How could it be cycled with seeing 0 Nitrates?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your dilution is massive, bioload low, I expect any test kit to vary this early. Reef tanks showing no nitrate is common, so people dose stump remover etc.

i personally guarantee you every day you wait, the fish act normal. Add more. Act normal

only ammonia control matters in updated cycling see my thread kicked up in this forum about unsticking cycles

we should not pump into retail purchases, this cycle is acting normal or your fish would not have made two days. Mr Saltwater is right, fish in cycling isn’t a big deal, all the fish act normal. People with digital ammonia readers can have an insight into cycling that titration kits cannot provide, a truth window.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a tank pic pls so we can track it day by day

I recommend wait for purchase until something in the tank shows an ammonia concern, not just the test kit.

in your upcoming pic

bad ammonia control will manifest as cloudy water, fish hovering at surface and darting, never feeding, not making it past 48 hours.

and if your picture shows opposite of that, you’ve been cycled by day 8 ish onward per cycling charts at minimum. Two clowns in a lot of water is easy dilution, bottle bac today is powerful stuff.

OP
OP
C

Code7500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your dilution is massive, bioload low, I expect any test kit to vary this early. Reef tanks showing no nitrate is common, so people dose stump remover etc.

i personally guarantee you every day you wait, the fish act normal. Add more. Act normal

only ammonia control matters in updated cycling see my thread kicked up in this forum about unsticking cycles

we should not pump into retail purchases, this cycle is acting normal or your fish would not have made two days. Mr Saltwater is right, fish in cycling isn’t a big deal, all the fish act normal. People with digital ammonia readers can have an insight into cycling that titration kits cannot provide, a truth window.
Alright thanks. This lets me rest a bit easy, Certainly the biggest tank I've ever had. And the fish do seem very happy, much more so than clowns i've had in other tanks. So happy fish and confusing test results led me to just ask the question instead of reading more and more forum posts. Thanks a bunch.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those claims above from me run counter to every known rule in cycling. I’ll link a work thread for evaluation.

This thread below had at least ten people put me on block for advocating reef anarchy, you’ll see.

its my scientific proof that fish in cycling isn’t harming fish

cuz we have seneye users in there, posting truth in pattern.

Glad Mr SW found the same
:)

I don’t even keep marine fish, am a coral only guy. My stake in the game is truth and the masses have it wrong three primary ways regarding fish + bottle bac day one cycling:

1. they make lack of nh3 control inconsequential. The current rule of cycling allows readers to think their tanks are lacking ammonia control, and run in the tenths ppm daily never lower, while zero animals show distress. Lack of nh3 control in a reef is exactly like a dog or cat that loses kidney ability, lost in 48 hours max. Does not feed, certainly does not act normal.

2. they overlook disease vectoring, which is the real risk.

3. nitrite has zero bearing in reefing and cannot stall a cycle. I realize a PhD says it will, but I disagree from having so many proof threads on file and this current post qualifies. When both fish keel over and you can’t add anything and the water clouds worse with every feeding then we will be wrong and must accept that update. But it’s not gonna happen :)

viva fish-in cycling. It’s the coming wave it’s no offense to me. We need to be aiming our resources for disease control - nh3 control is easy they’ve got it in the bottle clearly.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back