What should I do to end my tangs aggression against other herbivores?

ThEfIShdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a blue eye kole tang currently a juvenile and I was wondering what I should do about it chasing and biting my lawnmower blenny. I have had this tang for about a month and at first it was the perfect new addition, but now it is an quite literally bullying my lawnmower blenny. I do put nori in my tank, an there is plenty of algae, but my tang won’t let the lawnmower blenny do anything other than feeding time. I have the juvenile blue kole eye tang in a 30 gallon FOR NOW, don’t call the tang police, all the fish are healthy. I’m just looking for advice, should I give back the tang and try another baby or should I wait it out a little longer to see what happens. Because I’m not sure how long my blenny can hang in there, by the way the blenny is perfectly healthy still eat very aggressively even eats the nori. Any advice from other tang keepers helps, and pls tell me if this video works. Thanks!

Attachments

• 65168158023__EDD66238-B545-4999-A4F3-295762A9D49F.MOV
    2.2 MB

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is almost no chance a Ctenochaetus tang and a lawnmower blenny will tolerate each other in a 30 gallon tank.

My tomini and lawnmower chase each other all around my 6 foot 125.

I would rehome the tang.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every Kole I tried turned into an jerk and that was in a tank larger than yours.

Tangs are mean... I swear they need as much space as possible so their targets have more room to run and hide. :D

I would get rid of the Tang. Mine would bully more then just herbivores.

SkinnyMcGinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding feeding nori evenly: I have four tangs (hippo, Sailfin, Naso, and a yellow), and the problem I had was, when I fed Nori on a clip my pink tail trigger would eat it all! Like a piranha! So my tanks, who needed it, especially the yellow and sailfish, didn't get any.

Now, I broadcast feed the Nori, and everybody gets some. I fold a piece of nori up, to make it easier to cut into little pieces, and cut it into about 1/2cm squared pieces (sounds hard, it's east, takes about 10 seconds). Then I soak that in a cup, and dump all the little pieces of nori in my tank. Feeding frenzy, and everybody gets some. Only way I can get nori to all my tangs.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang doesn’t belong in a 30g period. It will NOT stop until blenny is dead

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every kole tang I've had, and do have, end up being jerks! They chase everything when they feel like it.

Only fish my current blue eye kole doesn't chase, is a yellow coris wrasse. Iive seen the wrasse turn around and kick the snot out of the tang. Everyone else, runs and hides when the tangs is in one of his moods.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love this guy but I know someone has more room for him. Thanks.
Tangs are bullies. Have a 6-line and a cinnamon clown that were in my tank for about 3 months as soon as I added the juvenile hippo tang. He took over and while friends with the clown. He chases the six line any time in goes above the rockwork.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a molly miller that killed 2 juvenile Tomini Tangs before i figured out what was going on. either a bigger tank asap or get rid of one of them.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have the tang I’d try two things

The easiest is to put a mirror where the tang likes to hang out. That will divert some of the aggression toward itself.

Also you need to rule out hunger as a cause for the aggression, which means you need to feed a lot for a couple of days to see if any of the aggression subsided.

If that doesn’t work, catch the tang and put it into “timeout” acclimation box for at least several days, maybe weeks even. That will mellow out the tang hopefully when it release him back

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding feeding nori evenly: I have four tangs (hippo, Sailfin, Naso, and a yellow), and the problem I had was, when I fed Nori on a clip my pink tail trigger would eat it all! Like a piranha! So my tanks, who needed it, especially the yellow and sailfish, didn't get any.

Now, I broadcast feed the Nori, and everybody gets some. I fold a piece of nori up, to make it easier to cut into little pieces, and cut it into about 1/2cm squared pieces (sounds hard, it's east, takes about 10 seconds). Then I soak that in a cup, and dump all the little pieces of nori in my tank. Feeding frenzy, and everybody gets some. Only way I can get nori to all my tangs.

I have same tangs, except for a mimic tang rather than a yellow. Mine are only about a year old, so not full size/diet yet.

I got this from someone on here, but I can't remember who. Anyway, I have a 6 inch long piece of 1 inch pvc pipe(dark grey), and then I bought some magnets. I glued some magnets on the end of the pipe. Then I use more magnets for the outside of the tank, and that holds the pipe in place. It's really nice because I can put it on the back part of the tank, and then using the magnets I can move it back up to the top when I need to take it out. Don't have to dip my hand in the water etc.

Anyway, I bought some ziptie holders that you can undo. I wrap half a sheet of nori around the pipe and then used the 2 zip ties to put the nori on. Put in water, and then move it into place with the magnets.

It is so much better than trying to use clips. It pretty much stays on the entire time, lasts for many hours where as with the clips half the nori gets pulled off and it's empty in 30 minutes. They all get as much as they want, 2 or 3 eat aat a time often. Although the Naso eats the most, like with everything.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back