What should I do with my new copperband butterfly fish?

ella.saltwaterfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a new copperband butterflyfish to my 55g tank yesterday. It's swimming back and forth against the glass and is stressed out. What should I do to allow it to calm down and finally eat? Also, I have a BTA in my tank and I'm worried that he will soon go and pick on it...

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a new copperband butterflyfish to my 55g tank yesterday. It's swimming back and forth against the glass and is stressed out. What should I do to allow it to calm down and finally eat? Also, I have a BTA in my tank and I'm worried that he will soon go and pick on it...
Live Aquaria recommends at least a 125 gallon tank.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+871+212&pcatid=212

If he is a small juvenile fish, it might just be stressed from the move, but more than likely he is too big for the tank. If not too big now, he will be too big later.

I would highly recommend rehoming him to a larger tank you have, a fellow reefer, or seeing if the store will take him.

At the end of the day it is up to you, this is just my suggestion based on the info we have.

Best of luck with whatever you decide! Also, welcome to the forum, we are all here to help you be successful and create the best environment for your fishy friends.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the group. ;Happy

Was there a particular reason you picked him up? They are a fairly advanced fish to keep and can be expensive What else is in the tank? Any experience with butterflies? Ccombs mentioned tank size also.

Totally do not want to come off wrong, just need to get some info to help keep him going.

For now I would keep the room dark as possible to reduce stimulus in the environment. As mentioned try to feed him good food. Black worms and frozen clams, Lots of threads here on keeping cbb.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r

Agree above only butterfly that is ok in a 55g is probably a barberfish and not reef safe.

These are really active fish and as they grow quite large.

But while in your care.
Some other ways to get butterflies eating. Using lrs press into a piece of rock work. Their natural tendency is to pick from the rock work not the water column. Besides lrs san fran angel and butterfly diet is another great choice and available at petco. Very solid and will coat a coral skeleton or rock well.

But second returning or rehoming.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For eating You can try & smash quality frozen into a crack in the rock. This mimics their normal way of feeding in the wild. Clame oyster both with some shell left or smashed in the rock.
So just how big is this new Copper? I had one in na emergency 75 for at least a year & she seemed fine .
Let's get this fish eating first. We can worry about tank size later .

OP
OP
E

ella.saltwaterfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria recommends at least a 125 gallon tank.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+871+212&pcatid=212

If he is a small juvenile fish, it might just be stressed from the move, but more than likely he is too big for the tank. If not too big now, he will be too big later.

I would highly recommend rehoming him to a larger tank you have, a fellow reefer, or seeing if the store will take him.

At the end of the day it is up to you, this is just my suggestion based on the info we have.

Best of luck with whatever you decide! Also, welcome to the forum, we are all here to help you be successful and create the best environment for your fishy friends.
welcome to the group. ;Happy

Was there a particular reason you picked him up? They are a fairly advanced fish to keep and can be expensive What else is in the tank? Any experience with butterflies? Ccombs mentioned tank size also.

Totally do not want to come off wrong, just need to get some info to help keep him going.

For now I would keep the room dark as possible to reduce stimulus in the environment. As mentioned try to feed him good food. Black worms and frozen clams, Lots of threads here on keeping cbb.

Okay, this might sound crazy... My dad, which doesn't know anything about saltwaterfish, went to the store, saw the beautiful fish, bought it, then dump it in my tank without me noticing it. I, as a saltwater fish beginner, would never go and by this delicate fish.

OP
OP
E

ella.saltwaterfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
E

ella.saltwaterfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r

Agree above only butterfly that is ok in a 55g is probably a barberfish and not reef safe.

These are really active fish and as they grow quite large.

But while in your care.
Some other ways to get butterflies eating. Using lrs press into a piece of rock work. Their natural tendency is to pick from the rock work not the water column. Besides lrs san fran angel and butterfly diet is another great choice and available at petco. Very solid and will coat a coral skeleton or rock well.

But second returning or rehoming.
Okay, thank you

OP
OP
E

ella.saltwaterfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For eating You can try & smash quality frozen into a crack in the rock. This mimics their normal way of feeding in the wild. Clame oyster both with some shell left or smashed in the rock.
So just how big is this new Copper? I had one in na emergency 75 for at least a year & she seemed fine .
Let's get this fish eating first. We can worry about tank size later .
okay, I'll try to get her eat clams, thank you

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this might sound crazy... My dad, which doesn't know anything about saltwaterfish, went to the store, saw the beautiful fish, bought it, then dump it in my tank without me noticing it. I, as a saltwater fish beginner, would never go and by this delicate fish.
There is nothing to be ashamed of, none of us are mad or accusing you, we just want you to have as much success in this hobby as you can.

That was a sweet gesture by your dad, we just want to be sure don't end up in a bad situation down the road.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, very sweet of your dad to get you a new fish. :)

Um, 2" beautiful black and white panther groupers grow to 2 feet.
;-)

The list of fish that are often for sale that should never be for sale is pretty long.
The list of what won't work longtermin a 55 is pretty long.
The list of 'good' choices for a 55 is long, but more limited. :)

Ask your dad to ask you first for any more fish. :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/difficult-and-special-care-species-list.32412/

One of the 'stickys' to show your dad. :)

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least You should tell Your dad that You need a much bigger tank for that fish.
We all hope for You that You have the 125+ gallon soon.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was just “dumped” into your tank it may well be a bit of acclimation shock at play...especially with such a delicate species.... they can be difficult to acclimate to captivity in general, even more so with temp, salinity shock if that could be the case.... your best bet is as above have advised, leave it be to try and settle and be prepared to try multiple different foods, live or frozen.... my copperband took a good week or so to eat prepared foods and was only enticed by live clams to start... good luck! Beautiful species once fat and healthy

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was just “dumped” into your tank it may well be a bit of acclimation shock at play...especially with such a delicate species.... they can be difficult to acclimate to captivity in general, even more so with temp, salinity shock if that could be the case....
Even worse is that ‘Petco’ water may have been dumped into your tank! Please Dad, don’t do that again.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.1%
Back