What should I do?

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently setup a new coral QT (about 4 months ago), and a new DT (been wet for about 30 days).

I have nothing in the DT as of yet and here is my problem...

My first batch of corals that I bought and put in QT introduced flatworms. I believe they are acoel flatworms which many say are completely harmless. I dipped the corals before I put them in the frag tank, so the bayer dip was either not effective or there were eggs somewhere. I have tried flatworm exit which was 100% not effective what so ever as well as a melanurus wrasse, the melanurus wrasse has cut them back significantly but they are still present. My question is:

Should I nuke the coral QT and start it over since it is such a young tank? Should I just proceed with what I am doing (which at this point is nothing) and knowingly introduce the flatworms into my DT and not be conerned with it (not sure I am OK with this one, but perhaps someone can talk me into this?) My options are endless - I can remove the fish from the coral QT tank and run anything I need to in this tank to get rid of them, if there is something that is sucessful.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your wrasse is the answer, just give it some time. That being said I don't find those flat worms to be pests...

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would manually remove any flat worms you see, and maybe dip each frag again? I find Rx dip works really well. If you can’t find any, try checking after the lights have been off for a while; they’re definitely more active at night.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely don't nuke for acoels! They may irritate corals if there's tons of them, but they tend to die back to reasonable levels on their own, and they don't usually get to bothersome levels anyway. Completely harmless. Almost inevitable. A wrasse should all but wipe them out, anyway.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back