What should i do?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was filling my marine x60.2 yesterday, and there was a small leak in the pipes. So now i have to wait for a replacement for next week. Would the RO water i fikled in the sump, and tank still be good to mix it with salt next week? Or water goes bad? Also i was covering the sump with a fresh towel that came out of the dryer that smells like detergent. I dropped the tip of the towel in the sump water by mistake. My tank currently sitting with live sand, rocks, without any salt mix. Would the water still be good for next week?

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water does not go bad ever really so no problem with that. You did mention dipping a fresh towel in the water, that should be okay also. The drier will have volataized pretty much anything and just the tip of the towel wouldn't have spoiled the whole batch.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was filling my marine x60.2 yesterday, and there was a small leak in the pipes. So now i have to wait for a replacement for next week. Would the RO water i fikled in the sump, and tank still be good to mix it with salt next week? Or water goes bad? Also i was covering the sump with a fresh towel that came out of the dryer that smells like detergent. I dropped the tip of the towel in the sump water by mistake. My tank currently sitting with live sand, rocks, without any salt mix. Would the water still be good for next week?

You did not mix the salt first? This is generally not a good practice. It is ok for a new build, but once you have stock in the tank you MUST mix the SW before putting it in the tank.

Where are the leaks? Is it cracked or damaged pipes? A leaking bulkhead? Teflon Tape (plumbers tape) is a simple and effective remedy for many leaking joints.

Have you filled the system to capacity? If so, I would drain a portion of it and mix the salt in an outside container. I would mix it VERY strong and then refill the tank. Test salinity and then adjust. I just don't trust that all of the salt will dissolve properly in the tank itself.

Think of it like this... You can mix a batch of saltwater to say 4x the normal level using the water in the tank now... once you add it back, it will dilute in the fresh water you have in the tank... then check the salinity... If its low, repeat the process... if high, drain a bit and add fresh water.

The water does not go bad ever really so no problem with that. You did mention dipping a fresh towel in the water, that should be okay also. The drier will have volataized pretty much anything and just the tip of the towel wouldn't have spoiled the whole batch.

Not quite true. The water will stagnate if it is not moving. Since you already have it in the display with the sand, it will go off faster. You should have a way to keep the water moving and break surface tension to avoid stagnation.

As for dipping the towel into it, no worries there.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did not mix the salt first? This is generally not a good practice. It is ok for a new build, but once you have stock in the tank you MUST mix the SW before putting it in the tank.

Where are the leaks? Is it cracked or damaged pipes? A leaking bulkhead? Teflon Tape (plumbers tape) is a simple and effective remedy for many leaking joints.

Have you filled the system to capacity? If so, I would drain a portion of it and mix the salt in an outside container. I would mix it VERY strong and then refill the tank. Test salinity and then adjust. I just don't trust that all of the salt will dissolve properly in the tank itself.

Think of it like this... You can mix a batch of saltwater to say 4x the normal level using the water in the tank now... once you add it back, it will dilute in the fresh water you have in the tank... then check the salinity... If its low, repeat the process... if high, drain a bit and add fresh water.

Not quite true. The water will stagnate if it is not moving. Since you already have it in the display with the sand, it will go off faster. You should have a way to keep the water moving and break surface tension to avoid stagnation.

As for dipping the towel into it, no worries there.
Ill add a wave maker. As far as salt mixing i know its not good practice. But its was my first time filling the displY

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back