What should I keep in my 125 g with 44 triton sump?

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I have always read these forums for help and advice and just became a member. My husband and I have been in the hobby for roughly 7 years. As always I started off having Freshwater aquariums ( planted/ciclids/angels/breeders ) and 7 years ago when I met my husband we started the journey into saltwater together. We have grown from a 29g to a 65 g tenecor acrylic with a 20 g sump we made ourselves.

Now after 5 years of having it we have started the upgrade to a sandless 125 g with 44 triton sump (V 1 being modified to be like V 2 with sock holders). We will be running 3 a360we tuna blue Kessil LEDs w/controller varios 8 pump and a Octo Skimz skimmer. The triton method is the path we will be venturing down. Currently 4 power heads for flow while rocks take on bacteria and cycle.

We currently have a mated pair of clown fish as well as 2 pajama cardinals, a firefish, and a Mag foxface ( all of which are in a 29 g quarantine due to marine velvet...smh). The corals I have are all softies ( HUGE zoa fanatic ). I will enclose a few photos as well. We are planning on moving almost all of the softies into the new larger tank after the 10th of Feb due to the marine velvet epidemic. We would like to put a few more fish in the tank and was wondering what would be the best fit for the 125 g. Here is what we were thinking:

5 Bangui Cardinals
3-5 Anthias
1 Coral Beauty Angel ( had one but it died 4 months before the velvet outbreak... possibly the cause )
1 fire shrimp ( already in 65 g )

65 g.jpg 125 g and sump.jpg 29 g quar.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thank you for the introduction! We’re glad you’re here!

OP
OP
Knpowell1982

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#mod

Even though this is my "meet and greet" post would it be possible to move this thread to a forum where I could get some helpful feedback towards the journey my Husband and I are taking?? Really would like to know more about what should and shouldn't happen and what to watch out for with such a large tank.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#mod

Even though this is my "meet and greet" post would it be possible to move this thread to a forum where I could get some helpful feedback towards the journey my Husband and I are taking?? Really would like to know more about what should and shouldn't happen and what to watch out for with such a large tank.
Can we do this instead? We have a group of volunteers called the #reefsquad who may be able to help.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Glad you've joined up. :-D

From your stocking list, the only concern I would see is the combination of multiple types of cardinals. It MIGHT work (I'm not familiar enough with cardinal territorial behavior); but as a general rule-of-thumb, it's always a risk putting two like-shaped species in a tank together.

> V 1 being modified to be like V 2 with sock holders

Good call. I've got a 44g V1 and bemoan the lack of ability for sock filters all the time. I'm curious how you will achieve this mod?

Not sure if you're run Triton before or not? If not, one word of caution that I did not receive clearly myself, if I may. The Triton Method, from what I've found, is something that requires a reasonably stable tank to work. I don't really think it's a viable plan to assemble a tank, cycle it, and then start "doing Triton". The tank will go through ugly phases, nutrients will wax and wane as you dial in your feeding, lighting and flow will be tweaked and dialed in, coral and fish additions will occur sporadically and be difficult to get balanced against the 4-part additives, and so on.
After having launched my new tank with the intent of going full Trident right from the start, I've spent the last year mothballing traditional Trident methods and going back to auto-water-changes and some manual dosing. And lamenting the lack of filter socks, as I've said. ;-)

It's now my opinion that Triton is something to plan for and work towards, but only once you have your tank built out and running for a year or two can it be brought online fully.

Just my $0.02; I accept change. ;-) Again; welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
Knpowell1982

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Glad you've joined up. :-D

From your stocking list, the only concern I would see is the combination of multiple types of cardinals. It MIGHT work (I'm not familiar enough with cardinal territorial behavior); but as a general rule-of-thumb, it's always a risk putting two like-shaped species in a tank together.

> V 1 being modified to be like V 2 with sock holders

Good call. I've got a 44g V1 and bemoan the lack of ability for sock filters all the time. I'm curious how you will achieve this mod?

Not sure if you're run Triton before or not? If not, one word of caution that I did not receive clearly myself, if I may. The Triton Method, from what I've found, is something that requires a reasonably stable tank to work. I don't really think it's a viable plan to assemble a tank, cycle it, and then start "doing Triton". The tank will go through ugly phases, nutrients will wax and wane as you dial in your feeding, lighting and flow will be tweaked and dialed in, coral and fish additions will occur sporadically and be difficult to get balanced against the 4-part additives, and so on.
After having launched my new tank with the intent of going full Trident right from the start, I've spent the last year mothballing traditional Trident methods and going back to auto-water-changes and some manual dosing. And lamenting the lack of filter socks, as I've said. ;-)

It's now my opinion that Triton is something to plan for and work towards, but only once you have your tank built out and running for a year or two can it be brought online fully.

Just my $0.02; I accept change. ;-) Again; welcome to R2R!

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Thank you for your feedback. We definitely are going to wait to use the Triton method before establishing the tank ( that is obviously number one priority :) ). Definitely later down the line.

As for the the V 2 we cut out the upper baffle that blocks the inlets from having socks. The company said that they could sell us the piece from the V 2 that holds the socks so we can use acrylic glue and put it in place where it is supposed to be ( have no idea why they didn't just make it like that in the first place ).

The Cardinals that we have are very shy and keep to themselves they are ( as well as the mated clown fish ) the longest/oldest fish we have. Those 4 were the first keepers we bought back in 2013 and have been going strong since.

So I don't think that with all the space that they are moving up to will affect their any territorial issues especially when introducing all the fish at the same time to the tank.

Also the rock work is obviously not finished. I am waiting until after the 10th so I can utilize all my already established shelves and what not from the 65 g . I can say there will be alot of caves and mounding structures and shelves for many of the fish to "call home".

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 125. Love it. Long enough for tangs, which is my suggested addition. Great personality and movement, and foxfaces get along well with tangs. Yellow tangs are great, but you already have a larher yellow fish. Hippo are pretty but don't seem to be as useful with algae. Maybe a sailfin? Definitely a tomini or kole. Also love my blonde naso.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drawing-dolphins-hand-painted-dolphin-cartoon-image-and-fish-images.jpg

I agree with @DLHDesign on giving it some time on Triton.

I have the 6' 125 and I love it. I'm a wrasse guy, so sand is a must with a Vermiculite Wrasse and Halichoeres wrasses. But fairy wrasses would work in a sandless tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back