What should I use for plumbing? PVC or Vinyl tuning?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys I have a 55 gallon tank and I am adding a sump very soon my equipment I have for sump is a skimz up36 sump, S2 DC 2000 gph VorTech pump, and a pf-800 overflow box but my question is what should I use for plumbing pvc or try out the vinyl tubing anyone use the tubing? Would be much easier to plumb I feel like with tubing.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer all depends on what your goals are. Looks Good? Easy to do? Most Efficient? Longest Lasting? Easy to Change?

Both systems have their merits. I usually wind up with some hybrid in the middle. but in your case I would be very likely to soft plumb the system. With the overflow box I would want to occasionally remove the box for cleaning and I appreciate some flexibility in box placement when I would remove and return the box from service. I also like some soft line on my return lines because it muffles vibration sounds and gives more room to place your pump in a slightly different location when you return it to service.

In general Hard Plumbing lasts longer, and looks better while Soft Plumbing is easier to install, easier to change, quieter, and often more efficient due to fewer right angles and a more direct flow path.

I suspect most people will urge you to use hard PVC but neither option is truly better they are just different.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a combo of both. My pipes outside the stand are PVC, but the connections to the pumps, and the drain off the tank overflow are hose.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say (as a plumbing beginner) rigid PVC is easier. I started with flexible PVC. Oddly enough it was too stiff to make work with the limited amount of space I had to work with. Many folks will say flex is better because there are less sharp angles, therefore less head height, and potentially noise. I can't say which is better in that regard because I haven't tried both - but, with 2x 45 degree fittings (instead of 90s) you can certainly limit the sharp angles.

Oh and I just feel better about gluing fittings, less chance for leak than messing with barbs.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My number one plumbing goal is No Leaks.

In my experience the biggest cause of leaks is connections. Particularly threaded connections.

Because of this, regardless of weather I use hard or soft plumbing I try to minimize the number of connection points and use glued connections rather than threaded connections whenever possible.

This would be my advise for your first plumbing job weather you go with hard or soft pipe.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience with using the Pf800 for 5 years now is go with something that makes it easier to remove to clean because believe me, you will need to remove it a couple of times a year for cleaning. I'm using the hose that came with the overflow. On my anemone tank I have the nano overflow and I'm using soft silicone tubing on that one.
I'm starting to replace all the hoses on my equipment with silicone tubing. I love the fact with silicone tubing there's virtually no memory so when you lay it flat it stays flat and it doesn't kink with the slightest bend like vinyl does. I had a problem with my return pump not sitting flush to the bottom of the sump because the vinyl tubing I was too rigid, swapped it with the silicone tubing and it's level now.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why people get carried away with all this colored pvc in their sumps. Who cares, nobody looks at your sump! Seems like a giant waste of time and money. Plumb whatever is easiest and allows for the most efficient maintenance.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use flex PVC on both drains and returns. As long as you get the ultra flex, it’s easy to run and solvent welds into regular PVC fittings (rather than flow robbing barbs).

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim tubing is one of the best you can buy, it last decades. the black pond tubing is real good as well.

Paul Kachirsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use flex PVC on both drains and returns. As long as you get the ultra flex, it’s easy to run and solvent welds into regular PVC fittings (rather than flow robbing barbs).
Where did you buy your Ultra Flex? Do you have a link? I dont need a ton

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I plan on using 80% flex pvc on my new 470. It’s efficient easy to work with and no hard bends slowing flow

Back