What should the height of my aquascape be?

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am redoing my aquascape. I have a 13" tall tank but the water goes to 12". How tall would you make the tallest point in the aquascape?

My corals so far are torch, hammers, acans, cyphastrea, zoas, trumpet coral, and a trachy. I am interested in a digi montipora and a birdnest though which I know need to be higher in the tank. So what height should I build my new rocks up to?

I'm having a bit of trouble building the scape up without losing horizonal space for corals because my tank is very narrow (12")

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With the water line being at 12 inches and you wanting to do digis and birdsnest we probably wouldn't go much higher than 6 or 7 inches. That will give you plenty of room for them to grow upwards and still get some flow going over the top of the corals.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am redoing my aquascape. I have a 13" tall tank but the water goes to 12". How tall would you make the tallest point in the aquascape?

My corals so far are torch, hammers, acans, cyphastrea, zoas, trumpet coral, and a trachy. I am interested in a digi montipora and a birdnest though which I know need to be higher in the tank. So what height should I build my new rocks up to?

I'm having a bit of trouble building the scape up without losing horizonal space for corals because my tank is very narrow (12")
Personal preference with the variable of how well you can tell the future for any coral growth you want to achieve.

I really only care about height of my aquascape when im thinking about branching sps at the top.

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot 2023-04-21 112101.png

I like when the rock breaks the surface on shallow tanks... I plan on doing something like this in my IM25 Lagoon.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the water line being at 12 inches and you wanting to do digis and birdsnest we probably wouldn't go much higher than 6 or 7 inches. That will give you plenty of room for them to grow upwards and still get some flow going over the top of the corals.
That's a relief. I was originally aiming for 9 and it was not working out lol. 6 sounds do-able!

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal preference with the variable of how well you can tell the future for any coral growth you want to achieve.

I really only care about height of my aquascape when im thinking about branching sps at the top.
I don't have any sps yet but I am hoping they grow when I get one lol!

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back